Parents fight for fly loft

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Yeah, cause that “Broadway technology” will sure be a lot cheaper than building a fly loft. I mean what are they gonna do, have Hudson install an automation package every time they do Grease?

Have the superintendent come in and participate with students doing a light hang using only ladders on a dead hung system, and he’ll change his mind about the safety issue.
Yes but you don't need the fly loft to raise and lower lighting battens. Its about losing a drop or tall piece of scenery or - more important - changing over from a band concert to a play overnight or between afternoon and evening.

Yes but you don't need the fly loft to raise and lower lighting battens. Its about losing a drop or tall piece of scenery or - more important - changing over from a band concert to a play overnight or between afternoon and evening.
Fair enough, but I’d bet dollars to donuts that if they’re not putting in a fly system, they’re also not putting in rigging for the lighting battens.

Fair enough, but I’d bet dollars to donuts that if they’re not putting in a fly system, they’re also not putting in rigging for the lighting battens.

Very possible, but motorizing 4 or 5 electrics is probably less than $100,000, while the full fly is on the order of a million. The comeback from the admin was “the fly is not possible due to the design of the building, but technological solutions may be found to compensate for the loss of the fly.” and roll drops were mentioned. It is a $120m project, so there is probably $6m contingency - funds not spent before the project begins construction. And public pressure can shake a few buck loose. (Is that kind of the reverse of campaign contributions for quid pro quo?)

But I appreciate your cynicism. I lose the motorized electrics as nearly as often as not. (But they get the electric hoist to store the wrestling mat.)

I do appreciate the concerns over safety, but I believe that since that is understood at the get go, they should be able to take some appropriate steps. In any case, I believe that if you are going to plan anything with technology (be it traditional or modern), you need to design with the intention of maintenance and service life. How well can the school maintain either system?

Bill,

Do you remember James Hull Miller stages? They'd be perfect for this superintendent that knows there must be some tech out there that will compensate for rigging. UGGGGG.

T

Unfortunately, many. And since the users change and the book didn't always get passed down, the users end up fighting with the stage. The center ceiling piece was cut down and dropped (literally) on the stage deck. He then called maintenance and said "it fell".
"I swear it was like that when I got here!"

Sometimes ya just gotta take matters in your own hands and ask for forgiveness later...

Sometimes.

"the fly is not possible due to the design of the building"

Um, they are still *designing the building*, aren't they?

"the fly is not possible due to the design of the building"

Um, they are still *designing the building*, aren't they?
Compared to what I here for excuses and rational daily, this one's no so incredible. Incredible still and BS, but not as outlandish as a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back