Conventional Fixtures Parts Question - whip sleeving

bjgowers

Hey all,
This will probably sound like a weird question, but I'm a very audio-oriented person, and I'm still getting myself familiar with electrics. I'm doing maintenance on the lighting inventory here at our university and I need to put in an order for some parts. I've noticed that the wiring on several of our lighting instruments has become exposed due to either the tearing or non-existence of the plastic/fabric mesh sleeve the normally slides over the wiring between the base and the plug. A very easy fix as long as I can order more. The only problem is that I can't seem to find anywhere that will tell me the technical term for this item. Again...it is a sleeve made out of either fabric or plastic (depending on the manufacturer) that is woven and serves as a covering for the wiring of the lighting instrument. Please let me know what product name I should be looking for and where I could possibly order more. Thanks!

I believe the technical (and most widely-used) term would be Fiberglass Sheath (or Sleeve). One might erroneously refer to them as "whips" or "pigtails", but those terms actually refer to the entire assembly - wire leads included. You might as well check your sockets while you're in there. If any are burned out or show signs of arcing, this would be a good time to replace them.

Here are a few links to the sleeves (but no pictures of the product):

Altman Sleeve

ETC Sleeve

I doubt there are any discernible differences between the two products, other than Altman's being about three inches longer and costing a bit more (ETC's may also be thinner in diameter - not sure). It probably all comes from the same supplier. Note that this is Production Advantage's website. Due to a recent merge, these links may change. Either way, they'll know what you're talking about if you call (800) 424-9991 and ask for "the fiberglass sleeving used for lighting fixture leads".

Good luck!

*There are numerous other suppliers out there as well. If you have a local brick-n-mortar store, shop them first. We can't stress enough the importance of forging a relationship with your local dealer!

Last edited:
There is a fiberglass sleeving and a plastic mesh that has been popular for use over the years. Go Fiberglass sleeving.

If not too badly damaged, a glue called "Plyobond" in doing a web search would easily repair the fibers from the fiberglass. Throw the plastic crap away in snagging on everything and not really protecting anything. #0 fiberglass sleeving thru above, your local theatrial supply or any number of sources is the most common type of sleeving use.

Remember always to get any PO's approved of before making them. Cover your rear and cross all I's and T's. Even today as a primary buyer, I have to do that for a box of bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back