Password protect pallet os?

MPsx

I came to class today to hear that a bunch of little middle school students where up in the mezzanine pressing buttons. all of us techs and our theatre teacher were outraged that they would be aloud up there because our auditorium is just 1.5 years old and we don't want people messing our stuff up, especially sense i'm running lights and sound for a discovery channel discovery thing tomorrow. anywho our solution was we need to password protect our stuff so only those who are aloud to access it can. We have a yamaha m7cl mixer so we made usb keys to protect that but we couldn't figure out if our strand lighting pallet vl has a password feature. does anyone know if there is one and where and if not how could we password protect it? are there any third party applications out there?

Thank you a ton!

The Strand software runs on top of Windows, but I don't think you can access the user account settings in the Control Panel. The closest it comes then is "Lock Console" under the file menu which takes a specific button push to unlock. But why are the students getting into the theater in the first place and able to access the board? And for pressing buttons, was it stuff on the console or a houselight remote slider station, which I have (accidentially) messed up trying to use it.

I'm not sure if you can password protect it or not. A couple of other options are leaving the console in a locking road case with cutouts for power, dmx, monitor, etc. so no one can use it without permission. Another option is a keyed power switch on the power cord. What I always did in high school when I programmed a show was to keep a backup of the show in my possession. That way if someone did something to the desk, and even damaged my backup I was still good to go.

The Strand software runs on top of Windows, but I don't think you can access the user account settings in the Control Panel. The closest it comes then is "Lock Console" under the file menu which takes a specific button push to unlock. But why are the students getting into the theater in the first place and able to access the board? And for pressing buttons, was it stuff on the console or a houselight remote slider station, which I have (accidentially) messed up trying to use it.

i tried looking in the control panel and it was empty... ill try out lock console tomorow morning, if it holds its effect even after being powered off that would be awesome. I'm not sure how they got in there, the middleschool was practicing for some choir show in there today which they dont normaly do and instead of asking us to turn lights on for them, they took it into there own hands and decided to see if they could figure out how to work it, i have no clue who gave them the keys. it was a the console.

Why was your console on if there was no one there to monitor it? Sounds like a policy issue you should bring up to your teacher and let them deal with.

we turn it off when were not using it, im surprised they were smart enough to even find the power switch on the console... I agree, and she was having a collaboration after school and was going to bring that subject up and ill see what she says tomorow. I personaly dont want anyone who is not fully trained to be in the mezzanine at all its just a disaster waiting to happen. even some teachers are asking me to teach them in running some basic lights and i dont want to teach them the basics i want them to fully understand it. we have a nice little feature of having those touch screen wall things made by strand that have presets pre proggramed so im going to set that up so i know what all the presets do and then teach people which presets to push.

I'm not sure if you can password protect it or not. A couple of other options are leaving the console in a locking road case with cutouts for power, dmx, monitor, etc. so no one can use it without permission. Another option is a keyed power switch on the power cord. What I always did in high school when I programmed a show was to keep a backup of the show in my possession. That way if someone did something to the desk, and even damaged my backup I was still good to go.

i thought of the locking case too, just have to convince them to spend more money :) i didnt think of the keyed power cord though that is a pretty good idea. I need to start making backups of the shows... ive been slacking...

If the console is in the booth and it has potential to unsupervised from other portions of the theater, it would be a good idea to keep the booth locked up if the board shouldn't be in use.

Your choices for password-protecting the board are quite limited, unless you're willing to gamble having a functional board at all after fiddling with the internal settings. The 1 time I've tried it, "Lock console" is quite ineffective - if these people have already figured out how to start up the console, it would take them about 2 seconds to get it unlocked after that. The only thing I can think of is a BIOS boot password, but in general I think that could be more trouble than it's worth, e.g. a travelling operator is running a show, so you unlock the board and let them at it, but at some point the board crashes/looses power, and you have to hustle back ASAP to get them going again.

Technically, you should be able to do the USB key trick with PaletteOS consoles by removing the channel key (assuming yours has one, most-likely tie-wrapped to an anchor underneath the board's cover, ours is a pretty plain Strand-branded memory stick), putting the software into an unlicensed mode where (Correction: for all but the first 7 channels) no DMX output will be possible. I've never tried this, so it's definitely at your own risk (and never ever lose that USB key...).

Another option, if all you're trying to do is discourage casual playing, is to pop the power switch out of the hole it sits in (carefully, there are probably plastic tabs on either side you need to push in) and leave it lying inside the console (I think this is possible without resoldering). Takes an extra 5 seconds to flip up the board surface and click the switch to power it on, but people who don't know that will be stumped trying to find an external power switch. Again, your own risk, not saying this is a good idea for all situations.

So, priority 1 is securing the booth itself, since there's lots of other easily broken things in there too, but if that's not an option, see above.

Last edited:
I think you have the right idea, but I think you need to look at how you're going about it. It sounds like this is a space that is open to lot of teachers. That's pretty common for an educational space. I can understand your desire to prevent people from "messing with" the equipment you use in the space, but you have to realize that even if the other students aren't theatre students they are still users of the same equipment. I'm not going to say that your booth shouldn't be locked, of course it should be locked that's expensive equipment, but what I am going to say is that if you have a bunch of drama students running around that can access the sound and lighting consoles and a bunch of teacher that can't that's a recipe for disaster. As much as you should consider the theater your space you must realize that in a school you have to share it. Because of this I would encourage you to inform your teacher what you've done with the audio console and let them know about your concerns about the lighting console, but if in the end they decide to leave them just as open as before that's something you have to deal with. Hopefully the administration at your school can work with all the teachers that would use your space and put in place a policy that maintains the facilities flexibility as well as keeps the equipment safe, but if they choose not to in the end they are the ones that will have to answer for the condition of the equipment. It's certainly a good idea to keep a copy of the showfile with you in case someone decides to play on the console, but you'll be in a much worse situation if you take things into your own hands and lock all the teachers out of the equipment. I would have hated to hear this when I was in high school, but it's the truth. You have to let the security of the equipment be the responsibility of your teacher and your school's administration, it may not seem like the best option for your equipment, but it'll prevent issues in the future and that's the best option for you.

It sounds like this is a space that is open to lot of teachers. That's pretty common for an educational space.

True of the spaces I'm working at. Teachers and school staff can only use programmed presets from a slider panel backstage and the auto AV control for two mics plus external sources like and iPod, Computer, or BluRay player. The sound board and racks are kept locked up and only sound techs and manager have a key to that and the light board sits out in the booth which is on the same key as the rest of theater but can keep those not authorized out.

And keeping a copy of the show file is always a good idea just not because someone might mess with the board but if it has an unexpected hardware failure or something else major occur you can load it up on a replacement console.

True of the spaces I'm working at. Teachers and school staff can only use programmed presets from a slider panel backstage and the auto AV control for two mics plus external sources like and iPod, Computer, or BluRay player. The sound board and racks are kept locked up and only sound techs and manager have a key to that and the light board sits out in the booth which is on the same key as the rest of theater but can keep those not authorized out.

And keeping a copy of the show file is always a good idea just not because someone might mess with the board but if it has an unexpected hardware failure or something else major occur you can load it up on a replacement console.

thats pretty much exactly how are theater is set up, yet teachers arnt following the precedures and some teachers who have a key are letting students that have no need up in the mezzanine up there. porkchop, I have been going through the administration with everything i do, when i mentioned to my teacher about the ability to lock the mixer using flashdrives she went and talked to the superattendent and he said its a wonderful idea and we should have been doing that before. I dont plan on locking teachers out of it, well the ones who know kinda what there doing at least. Right now im going to begin traing the IT department on the auditorium and next year ill begin training some more students. I belive completely that administration should be dealing with this issue and ill propose to them that we create a new policy to restrict use of the mezzanine by anyone not authorized and trained to operate the gear. we have so much brand new stuff up there i dont want it hurt, were already missing a $50 dollar attena from one of our ev belt backs and were out a mic till it can be replaced. I hope administraition can come up with a better solution to keeping people out of there.

cpf, if i was to take apart my console at all, i would proably get my head chopped off.

our booth is always locked and generaly people cant get in there so i think it is an administration problem with teachers giving keys to wrong students, also sometimes they have old students come run sound which i dont like at all because they mess with our stuff then were stuck reconfigureing...

If they're in a locked booth then see about having the district change the locks on the doors. Our booth in high school was generally locked up and the only people with keys were teachers in the theater dept., the head janitor, and the administration. You can point out that sending one of the consoles out for repair even once will more than pay for changing a couple of locks and having a few keys made.

Technically, you should be able to do the USB key trick with PaletteOS consoles by removing the channel key (assuming yours has one, most-likely tie-wrapped to an anchor underneath the board's cover, ours is a pretty plain Strand-branded memory stick), putting the software into an unlicensed mode where (I believe) no DMX output will be possible. I've never tried this, so it's definitely at your own risk (and never ever lose that USB key...).

Another option, if all you're trying to do is discourage casual playing, is to pop the power switch out of the hole it sits in (carefully, there are probably plastic tabs on either side you need to push in) and leave it lying inside the console (I think this is possible without resoldering). Takes an extra 5 seconds to flip up the board surface and click the switch to power it on, but people who don't know that will be stumped trying to find an external power switch.

Can't say I see either of those being a good idea in a high school. The first because the usb drive is pretty much going to disappear. The second because the last thing you need is a bunch of high school kids finding other things to play with (especially possibly live things) while in there.

I generally don’t recommend a password because now your console can’t recover on its own if there is a power outage or crash. I understand the issue of untrained personnel or students messing with the board, either for fun, or to try to get lights on. I worked in a venue with that exact problem. Our solution was to build a locking lid on our tech table. I would say you should work on locking up the console, or the room and getting the administration to enforce proper booth procedure. I would not remove the channel key. As it would disable all but the first 7 channels (depending on software version), you do not want to risk losing that key.

I am kind of surprised that no one mentioned the simplest solution of them all... Remove the power cord! If the school procedure is to call in the tech staff for events that need lighting beyond the preset panels then you can just store the power cord elsewhere and pull it out when you need it. For that matter, you could probably put it in a cabinet in the booth where you store other stuff and no one would even bother to look if they didn't know it was there!

That being said, there is little that one can do these days to really mess up the console unless people are coming in with hammers and bashing on it. Pushing around faders and punching in channels wont mess things up. Neither will writing a few cues or subs unless you haven't saved your show. They might mess up your show file or submasters, but you should have a backup of those anyway! If you aren't saving your shows to both the internal drive and a flash drive, you should start doing that yesterday. That way if you walk in an someone has changes your settings or show, you can just re-load it and go. The show files saves most (if not all) your show AND system settings, so save early and save often.

I believe it has been mentioned, and despite the fact that you have been working with school administration, it is still a public school and a public building. You can set up policy until your ears turn blue, but odds are if some teacher asks for access, or if someone books the auditorium for an event and doesn't want student tech staff, they will get what they want. If you disable things to a point where that rental can't do what they contracted for, you or your supervisor will probably get some angry phone calls and some form of reprimand. For any cover or lock box you put in, you will probably need to supply a good handful of people with keys, including custodial, so while you may limit access most of the time, it won't work always.

You will find that we say something to the effect of the following all the time here on CB. It is high school theatre, right now you have a strong theatre program with good technicians, but in 3-5 years, the school might not. Those middle school kids may be the people running things, or there may be only one semi interested kid. Ultimately at some point someone is going to end up learning how to use the systems and gear by sitting down in front of it and playing. It won't matter if you train kinds or teachers or if you write a tech bible like many students try to do. You don't really have to provide full on console training for every student or teacher who is going to use the system. First of all, you can't, no matter what you think you know, or how good a programmer you think you are, you are not a trainer and you don't really know as much as you think. That goes for almost all of us professionals as well. There is a big difference between what we can teach and what a trainer can teach, and believe me, I still call my college professors, console trainers and friends at the manufacturers when I have questions. However, you should provide basic training to anyone who may need to use the system. Walk people through how to turn on the system, turn the lights on, use the submasters, and hopefully not overwrite your current show. It really only takes about a half hour to teach someone the bare-bones of turning lights on using the console, that there is no reason not to ensure that any potential user knows how to do it. Even train the middle school choir director. It is also something that you can put on a single page cheat-sheet that you can leave at the console for reference by users. This should give you more peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back