Control/Dimming Patching a Rosco Delta 3000 Fogger to a Strand Palette VL64 Control Console

LXPlot

Our venue recently purchased a Rosco Delta 3000 Fog Machine for use in our upcoming productions. Unfortunately, we simply cannot figure out how to patch it into our Palette VL64 lighting control console.

Here's the deal. About a month ago, we purchased a Rosco Delta 3000 Fog Machine from a nearby lighting supplier, and tested it out. After about a day of playing with it, we concluded that it was in proper working out (it was definitely not faulty because it was a replacement for a faulty unit of the same type we had purchased earlier.) However, no matter how hard we tried, we could not get it to work with our console. I know well enough that our console patches fog machines by setting up profiles for them under patch and despite consulting both units manuals, we couldn't figure out how to do it.

Now, it's certainly possible that we're simply idiots, but I think it more likely that we are simply undereducated on the techniques.

So if somebody could possibly help us, that would be awesome.

Thanks,

Noah

Don't know that desk, but http://www.rosco.com/includes/technotes/fog/deltawebmanual.pdf is the fogger manual.

A couple thots top of my head:

Most foggers are one channel. So if the old and new machines are fairly similar, they should work fairly easily as long as the channel assignments are the same.

Are you sure console is outputting correctly? Fogger is receiving correctly? Data cables are working? I've also seen some devices don't work properly unless the console is on and connected before powering the device on. One other basic thing to try is to set the fogger to the address of one of the dimmers and see what happens.

Done, done, and done. I honestly don't think it's an equipment problem, I think it's more of something to the effect of us missing a step.

Do you have anything else DMX that you can substitute for the fogger to see if you are getting signal?

I have looked through the fogger manual and can't find any DMX chart. Lack of a DMX chart would indicate that it, like many foggers, uses only one DMX channel. I would try and start with a fresh showfile, unplug anything else from the desk, connect the fogger to the desk via DMX. Make sure the correct DMX port is turned on (Live Data in Patch), set it to DMX address 1 and see if channel 1 operates it.

Just make sure that the address which you are trying to control is identical on both the console and the fogger.

If you need more info on the console side, call 800.4STRAND for tech support.

You are correct, I didn't read the ad correctly. Here is how to set the address.

Setting the DMX address: With the Operation Menu displayed. push the ENTER button
until the “SET DMX” menu is displayed on the LCD. Push an ARROW button so that
“YES” is blinking. Turn the JOG WHEEL until the desired DMX address is displayed. Turn
the JOG WHEEL clockwise to display higher numbers and counterclockwise for lower
numbers. Note: After 512, the channels will go back to 1 so when going from a low number to
a high number, the JOG WHEEL can be turned counterclockwise.
Saving the DMX address: When the desired channel is displayed push the ENTER button
and the LCD will display “SAVE SETTINGS”. To keep the DMX channel settings push an
ARROW button until ”YES” is blinking then push the ENTER button. If the DMX channel
settings are not to be kept, push an ARROW button until NO is blinking. Once the DMX
address is saved, the Delta 3000 will automatically be set to run from DMX.

Noah, please feel free to give us a call or email if you continue to have problems addressing/accessing your machine via DMX.

Matt @ Rosco
1-800-767-2669

Our venue recently purchased a Rosco Delta 3000 Fog Machine for use in our upcoming productions. Unfortunately, we simply cannot figure out how to patch it into our Palette VL64 lighting control console.

Here's the deal. About a month ago, we purchased a Rosco Delta 3000 Fog Machine from a nearby lighting supplier, and tested it out. After about a day of playing with it, we concluded that it was in proper working out (it was definitely not faulty because it was a replacement for a faulty unit of the same type we had purchased earlier.) However, no matter how hard we tried, we could not get it to work with our console. I know well enough that our console patches fog machines by setting up profiles for them under patch and despite consulting both units manuals, we couldn't figure out how to do it.

Now, it's certainly possible that we're simply idiots, but I think it more likely that we are simply undereducated on the techniques.

So if somebody could possibly help us, that would be awesome.

Thanks,

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back