patching elipscan on strand 520

Jonverse

Hi People,

Good to join this place,

Having problems getting meteor elipscans working on my Strand 520 - has anyone got them working on this consol, if so how !?

Thanks,

Done that so many times it makes my head hurt. First things first, go into your fixture library and create a profile for the elipscan. Do a search on some of my other posts on here for a good guide to do that by Bobby Harrell. When you make the profile be sure that you include an intensity channel in it (I know the elipscan does not have a dimmer, but make the profile to have one). After you have patched the elipscan just like you would any other intel, you have to patch the dimmer that the physical lamp is in into the same channel as the elipscan. This will give the elipscan two intensity channels that will reacte to the same control channel. That should do ya. If you have any questions about doing this don't hesitate to ask more questions. Patching these things is a bit odd but its not that huge of a deal.

Hi,
Thanks for the help.
I have basically created a profile using an existing on and renaming it and changing attribute numbers, although i dont know what to do with the 5 attribute - on/off relay....
However when i try to use the encoders it is not controlling the attributes - it says on the screen it is but when i patch it too a basic channel that may have a light in it it brings up the intensity of that light instead of attribute that it is addressed to.
Are you able to give me syntax step by step to patch this into consol.
Sorry for being stupid on this.
Thanks
J

Hi,
Thanks for the help.
I have basically created a profile using an existing on and renaming it and changing attribute numbers, although i dont know what to do with the 5 attribute - on/off relay....
However when i try to use the encoders it is not controlling the attributes - it says on the screen it is but when i patch it too a basic channel that may have a light in it it brings up the intensity of that light instead of attribute that it is addressed to.
Are you able to give me syntax step by step to patch this into consol.
Sorry for being stupid on this.
Thanks
J

Ya, I can do a step by step. I will try to get that to you tonight. When I get back into the theatre I believe I have the profile written down that I can send you.

Thanks so much, I did actually manage to make it move but got all messed up again - getting there ssssslowly.....:neutral: but if you have profile and steps that great for tonight.
Appreciate your help on this

First, Go to the fixtures library.
Hit- (all softkeys) more/notesdisplay/load file/fixt lib

This should bring up a text file

Modify a profile (I suggest profile one, who needs a pirouette). You can only have 99 profiles

Modify and rename the profile to look like this.

Simply rename the stuff on the top, leave the brackets intacked
3, 0, 0, 255, 0, 0
4, 0, 0, 255, 0, 0
95, 0, 0, 255, 255, 0
96, 0, 0, 255, 255, 0
48, 0, 0, 255, 0, 0
1, 0, 0, 255, 0, 0

Save the file before you leave, also a softkey.

What this will do is set the pan and tilt speeds to full automatically. You will have no speed control accept by data you are sending it. I have never had a problem running this way, and it makes programming much easier. It also makes the console thing that it’s a 6 channel fixture, which of course it’s a 5. However, when you address the fixture itself, address it as a 6 channel fixture… so the first would be 1, next 7, next 13… etc

Go to patch,
Type: (address of fixture)@(Channels you want it is)@fixture(profile number)
The profile number you used should have been 1, if its not use what you used. Also, at fixture is a softkey.

After you have patched that, the mirror should now move on the ball. Now to patch the lamp…

Patch whatever dimmer your lamp is in whatever channel you patched the fixture into just as you would with any regular light. Dim@Chan

That should do it for ya. When you select the channel, you should get the mirror on the ball and the intensity on the wheel. If you want to flip you pan/tilt that can be done in patch through the softkeys.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what you mean by: "Strand doesn't handle remote dimmers to well." Unless you are referring literally to remote dimmers as opposed any DMX device. I have never had any issues controlling any devices on my Strand consoles (520, 530, and 300) except for when I make silly mistakes patching or setting up the device (or a bad data cable).

Other than that, I would like to say that I end up using Elipscans a lot, and I like your solution for patching them. I was writing up a fixture library for all the fixtures we use here at my theatre, and I couldn't wrap my head around the Elipscan (due to the separate intensity channel) so I have been patching it manually every time.

Thanks again.

(due to the separate intensity channel) so I have been patching it manually every time.
Thanks again.

Thats what I meant. I handles remote dims just fine, but you have to trick the board into taking it. Unlike most consoles that have the option of patching the remote as a desk channel or what have it. It works just fine if you are thinking in strand speak. I personally love those consoles, and after you get how they handle groups and all that stuff they really make a lot of sense.

With how I made that profile, it tracks just fine and also automoves perfectly.

I love my Strand consoles too. After my first experience on the 300, I was sold compared to the Obsession II. Strand handles so many things in a much simpler way. Until ETC brought the Eos over for a pre-release demo I wouldn't have really thought about going back to ETC (thanks to Karl Haas, ETC's Western Regional Rep. and one of our LDs).

It really saddens me that this OS will be going by the wayside. I find myself sitting there like the old guy in the back of the house saying "Hang more Kliegels!!!" but for strait up theatre shows with a few movers I really don't think there is a better console out there. The obsession is a rip off of the lightpallet software. After you have been behind any strand desk (besides the GSX.. what a piece of crap) its hard to go back to an etc of any kind.

That is very true. I still have an LP90 sitting up in my catwalk (for lack of better storage). And I have a bunch of the Strand Century die cast radial ellipsoidals as well as 53 Strand Century Axials (we only have 20 of the radial units left in active service, soon to be replaced).

Strand got a lot of things right with their OS. Stability, tracking backup, networking. Oh, and the fact that all of the consoles run the same software, that is just genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back