Patching Intels-Normal vs. Extended

DarSax

Aight, I was bit confused on this one, but still worth a thread.

I have some Mac 700 Profiles, with the option to set them as Basic or Extended--extended mode "provides finer position control of the dimmer, color wheel, CMY color mixing, iris, focus lens, and zoom lens than the basic mode.

It's pretty much a rock concert, throw is 20ft.

Anyone with experience with both recommend either of them? Would there be any reason for me NOT to select "Extended?"

Last edited:
Depends. If you select the extended mode it usually gives you 16 bit resolution on ever attribute, as well as sometimes adding some different strobes and stuff like that. If you are running a console that easily deals with 16 attributes, then go with it. Usually there are two reasons to not run in extended mode, console choice and data lines. Running in extended will usually come close to doubling your DMX needs, so instead up filling two universes, you have filled 4, and sometimes that can be a problem.

That's what I figured, as far as the DMX space; I have more than enough. I'm running a Hog2, which from reading the manual and working on Hog2PC seems to handle them well.

These days running in extended produces more resolution for just about every attribute except pan tilt, I haven't run into any marquee fixture lately that doesn't have 16bit Pan Tilt in either mode. Some consoles can take advantage of "m-speed" or timing channels seamlessly depending on the fixture (Virtuoso for one). Always plan on using the extended mode, only reneging if you find that you're pressed for space in your patch. You never want to be backed into a corner while programming to find that you really could have used the resolution on something.

A Prime example of this - When you do a slow fade (6 seconds plus) on a Mac2k across multiple fixtures - you'll find that they usually wont close their dousers at the exact same time or will do this weird "trailing" of the douser closing. Messing with the timing channel can help make the fixtures even.

-j

Thanks for the quick responses guys...I have the room, so I'm definitely going for it. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back