The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Control/Dimming Patching Scrollers to Express 72/144

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by DCATTechie, May 31, 2008.

1. DCATTechie

DCATTechie Active Member

How do i patch in 4 Apollo SmartColors to an ETC Express 72/144? Once they are patched, how do i "dial in" or select the color i want for each scroller?

2. jmabray

jmabray Active Member

I don't know exactly how to answer this, but I will give it a shot.

Address the scrollers to an address outside of your dimmer addresses. Run DMX cable from the console to the Scroller power supply. Run Scroller cable from the power supply to the scrollers. Put the address of the scroller in the channel that you want to control the scroller. Power the scrollers up. As you run your channel up, the scroller will scroll through the scroll....

Make sense?

3. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

The chart below, from page 10 of the current SmartColor manual, lists DMX Values and Percentages for each frame. (Ignore the DMX column and use only the Percentage Column with the Express.)

[user]Kelite[/user], "Dominent" is misspelled in the chart. Also, I suspect "Heavily Blue" should be "Heavenly Blue". Hoosiers!:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  4. DCATTechie

DCATTechie Active Member

Well I'm running this out of PORT B 513-1024. So should i start the scroller addresses at 513 or 1 because it's on universe b? Also, say i have 300 dimmers, I start addressing at 301 as not to conflict with a dimmer?

5. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

It should be addressed at 1.

A common mistake...but remember that there's only 512 channels per universe and what the Express calls 513 is really the first channel of the second universe.

6. jmabray

jmabray Active Member

In the patch of the express, it would be 513. At the actual Scroller, it would be 1. Confusing enough?

7. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

The scroller can only accept an address of in the range of 1-512. If using port B, set the first scroller to 001 and on the Express, patch "dimmer" 513 into whatever control channel (1-240) you want to control it. Repeat until done. I'd recommend using a separate channel and "dimmer" for each scroller, even if the lamps are two-fered, for the most flexibility.

Only matters if you have BOTH dimmers and scrollers on Port A. Port B's 1-512 are totally different than Port A's 1-512, provided you have the correct settings under [Setup Menu] [# of Channels] [# of Dimmers] and [Setup Menu] [Output Configuration].

Be cautious about using [CH] 1 [thru] 240 [at] 00, or clearing the fader, or releasing all captured channels, as this can cause needless wear and tear on the gelstring.

8. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    I posted an explanation for this in your other thread, here.