Patching Wireless Lights...

dwardMICS

Introduction: I am a teacher. My main lighting system is in another space, but the light board travels to my classroom. It is connected via a wireless showbaby. Zero problems as it was set up by professionals.

I got a new set of toys: 9 Chauvet DJ Feedom Par Hex-4 lights and a D-Fi Hub. I plan to use these in my classroom to actually teach how to use the console, and also travel to my main space as added lights for my regular system. I plan to use them in a master/slave configuration.

Lighting Console: ETC Element with updated fixture library.

I have spoken to Chauvet tech support who said my issue is the console.

Since this system will be patched to the wireless hub, it's going into universe 2. I patched one of the fixtures to 2/1-12 in it's 12 channel configuration using the ETC fixture library. Under interface is shows sACN, EDMX, and DMX having a *. It also does display an output range of 0-255 based on intensity.

So seems like it should be working! Except the first light (master) is strobbing green lights and does not respond to other commands when set to DMX profile D 1. When I set the dmx profile to D 512, I can control the intensity, but no other controls.

Any advice or suggestions you brilliant people can suggest?

Since Chauvet will tell you it’s the console, and ETC will tell you it’s the fixture, and the wireless people will tell you it’s the console or the fixture...
Start by directly connecting a cable from the console to the fixture. If it works, the problem is the wireless.
Find another identical console — take a fixture somewhere else if you have to — to confirm it’s not the particular console you’re using. If it works, get your Element serviced.
Find a different console (not an Element) with similar features. If it works, report the problem with the Element to ETC. They are responsive, they’re a great company.
Test with more than one fixture. If it’s one particular fixture, get it serviced.
If none of this solves the problem, only Chauvet can fix it.

I agree with the suggestion to bypass the wireless and see if that resolves the issue or not. Also, make sure that the profile on the light matches what you have patched in the board as this could cause issues if they don't match.

Since you have multiple fixtures of the same type, I would also try seeing if any of them will work as you expect it to in place of the one that is having issues. That would help narrow down the problem to being a fixture specific issue or something else.

"does not respond to other commands when set to DMX profile D 1. When I set the dmx profile to D 512, "
You might have a patching problem. When you say you've set the light to "DMX profile D1", do you mean you have set the DMX address on the fixture to 001? I would check the patch table on the Element to verify the fixture is indeed patched to these channels.
If you patched it to address 512, only the first channel of the fixture would be available.

You might want to terminate the end of the DMX run if you haven't already done so.

Introduction: I am a teacher. My main lighting system is in another space, but the light board travels to my classroom. It is connected via a wireless showbaby. Zero problems as it was set up by professionals.

I got a new set of toys: 9 Chauvet DJ Feedom Par Hex-4 lights and a D-Fi Hub. I plan to use these in my classroom to actually teach how to use the console, and also travel to my main space as added lights for my regular system. I plan to use them in a master/slave configuration.

Lighting Console: ETC Element with updated fixture library.

I have spoken to Chauvet tech support who said my issue is the console.

Since this system will be patched to the wireless hub, it's going into universe 2. I patched one of the fixtures to 2/1-12 in it's 12 channel configuration using the ETC fixture library. Under interface is shows sACN, EDMX, and DMX having a *. It also does display an output range of 0-255 based on intensity.

So seems like it should be working! Except the first light (master) is strobbing green lights and does not respond to other commands when set to DMX profile D 1. When I set the dmx profile to D 512, I can control the intensity, but no other controls.

Any advice or suggestions you brilliant people can suggest?
First of all, you DO NOT want to be using any type of master/slave mode on your fixtures. They should all be set to DMX mode. The Master/Slave modes are for standalone use without a controller. This allows one fixture to control the rest usually based on an audio active mode.

Second, you should make sure that your second DMX port on your console is actually configured to be universe 2. The ports can be configured in the shell and may not be set up correctly. While you are at it, make sure that your patch matches the addressing on your fixtures.

Third, if you are working/teaching in a classroom, why are you trying to use wireless at all? A couple DMX cables will be much more reliable and you shouldn't need much footage in a classroom, so it shouldn't be too expensive. You really should steer away from wireless unless there is really no other option.

Second, you should make sure that your second DMX port on your console is actually configured to be universe 2. The ports can be configured in the shell and may not be set up correctly. While you are at it, make sure that your patch matches the addressing on your fixtures.

As it turns out, this was the issue. Some how, the 2nd universe was set to start at 2 instead of 513....

After that, it worked like a dream!

After fixing the universe, we set it so each light could easily be individually patched. Man, having the universe right made it all so much easier!

Thank you very knowledgeable and kind people!

Glad you solved the issue. Glad ControlBooth could help in some way.

Zero problems as it was set up by professionals.
THIS gave me a chuckle. Personally, I've had more problems with "professionals" than amateurs, but probably because I only work with professionals.

My main lighting system is in another space, but the light board travels to my classroom.
Rather than dragging the Element all over creation and back, have you considered a Puck/Nomad solution for the classroom? Each student could then use his own software off-line to get familiar with things.

Man I was on a job I totally would of gotten this.

The real question is why was U2 set to 2 and what do you have on U1 that is only using 1 channel.

Inquiring mind and such.

Glad you solved the issue. Glad ControlBooth could help in some way.

THIS gave me a chuckle. Personally, I've had more problems with "professionals" than amateurs, but probably because I only work with professionals.

Rather than dragging the Element all over creation and back, have you considered a Puck/Nomad solution for the classroom? Each student could then use his own software off-line to get familiar with things.

The element gets brought back because our primary performance venue is a gym, and the church that rents the space on Sundays occupies all of the other storage. I looked into the puck originally, but I was set on getting the students to interact with a light board so when they go to college or working theatre, they wouldn't be intimidated by all the buttons. Also, at my school, I have VERY FEW students who are really into lighting. Most of them want to be stage managers or carpenters. Can't complain too much about that really.

Man I was on a job I totally would of gotten this.

The real question is why was U2 set to 2 and what do you have on U1 that is only using 1 channel.

Inquiring mind and such.

The aforementioned church uses all of our stuff, including the console. For a few weeks they "couldn't" get the lights to turn on because they kept messing up the park buffer (no matter how often I fix it for them). It could have been set up improperly, or possibly some good meaning person who like to play in the settings menu did it. I have no idea. I am at least 92.8% positive I did not mess it up in the first place. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back