Pathway Choreo Demo

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
That's a lot of light board in a tiny little box.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is it multi touch? What about the the touch and hold can you just touch it and it goes do you have to stay touched? I saw the button he had but what if that isn't available and the wall plate is only there?

Is it multi touch? What about the the touch and hold can you just touch it and it goes do you have to stay touched? I saw the button he had but what if that isn't available and the wall plate is only there?
I don't remember. Let's turn on the batsignal for the guys from Pathway... @pathsupport or @VRommel can you answer this?

Good Evening! Batsignal received. If I understand your question correctly, no, the touchscreen is not configured to be multi-touch. (We could have done that, but there is some patented IP out there that is best to work around.)

But, if we are talking about recalling Memories from [PLAY] [MEMORIES] or from the password protected Wall Station mode, then the answer is to be found in how you can program a Memory button. It can be "Toggle" in which the action is starts remains operating until it is pushed again. It can be "Radio" in which the action is starts runs until another "Radio" in its Radio Group is pushed and then you get a dipless cross fade from the first Radio to the next Radio and so on. Or, the button can be programmed as Momentary in which the action the button starts runs as long as you are holding the button down (pressing it on the screen) and the action stops running when you stop holding the button down.

Let me know if this answers your question(s). We are always here to discuss our products and strive to keep our eyes peeled for those batsignals.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel
Director Business Development

Good Evening!

Yes, we agree that it would be cool if one could use Choreo as a Pathport node networked with another (smaller or bigger) console so that it could fill a role unlike any other "architectural" controller on the market. Such a controller would be able to network together with another to create a group of more than one, or two, or three, or.......

There's a lot of detail about our development plans for Choreo that I hope you understand cannot be discussed or shared in public. We do have what is called a "Road Map" for this platform and I can assure you that Choreo / Cognito 2 are two elements of a living platform that continues to be actively developed and will continue to be actively developed for an extended period of time. This is just one of the reasons that we watch this space.

Please keep posting. This where the voice of the user is heard. Trust me, we take note. And, by the way, so do many of our fine competitors. This is going to insure that this will be an exciting era for users of advanced, high performance lighting control systems for entertainment, architecture and architainment.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel

Well as long as we are dreaming a little. I am a well documented fan of your Horizon software, going back to the original stand alone box with wing panels, through the Marquee years, and into Strand. I think there is still a lot of potential for returning to Horizon's roots as stand alone software with wing pannels. There are a lot of companies who make dongles with software out there, but they miss the mark when it comes to adding a wing panel to control them by jumping up too high in price. There are a LOT of people who come on CB looking for a cheap way to run their lights. They can't even afford a couple thousand dollars for a basic console and they often end up spending $150 on a dongle and using Chamsys MagicQ for free (which has a huge learning curve for beginners). I think if you could find a way to sell your software to run on a laptop, a dmx dongle, and a small wing panel (could have the dongle built in) with just half a dozen faders and a go button for around $500 you would have a real winner.

Good Morning!

Actually, we did find a way to sell our software to run on a laptop with a DMX512 dongle (a portable Pathport) because that's what we did. When it came time to make a wing panel, for better or for worse, Cognito is a wing panel, it just happens to have a processor running embedded software inside. What we failed to do was to hit a $500.00 price point. To a certain extent, that was by design. We took a very hard look at the controls product offerings in the market and our conclusion was that there were lots of big desks out there and even more sub-$500.00 products out there (and so why did the world need yet another product in either class), but in the features/price range where we wanted to operate, there was room for a new entry and that's what we did. So far, for the most part, the market has been accepting of our thinking and the people who backed us financially are happy with the results. There's a lot to come, and we will get there, but it takes time and, as I said yesterday, dialogue like this at Control Booth is very important to us because it is a place we to which we come to get a handle on what our current and future customers want and need.

Best Regards.
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel

This seems like what Martin was trying to do with M-Touch. I agree on the Chamsys point, their "low cost" mini wing is $1,250 which is a big jump to those who are trying to step up from a $100 dongle. Another avenue I have thought about is to make the software multi-touch compatible as a 22 inch 10-point multi-touch monitor goes for ~$300. Not as great as a wing, but a marked step up from only being able to use 1 fader at a time in MagicQ. I do like the disign of your software. It is easy to use(and has a pretty and inviting user interface) like some of the DJ software available however is much more powerful. Honestly your software is already levels above Chamsys in user interface giving very graphical control. I am really excited as to where the software is going and I am already looking into fitting a Cognito2 into my school's tight budget.

Hi Tech_geek97:

Have you taken a look at what you can do with the MagicQ software using Keyboard Modes? You keyboard as a interface for a lot of the functions. Check out section 41.9.11 in our manual here
I have and keybord modes are great (even as much as I try to type in playback mode) however the lack of bump buttons can be really limiting. Additionally the map lines up really oddly on an ANSI keyboard. There are also issues with on screen bump buttons on a windows touch screen as press and hold does not work properly. It hasn't been a problem for me as I have recently purchased a wing however it does make busking very difficult to those without.

Hi Tech_Geek97:

One option on the flash buttons is to think of the "test" on the lower row of keys in playback mode as a latching flash, even though this does not get exactly what you need. Best "software only" option for a flash button is currently a flash button on an execute page - but I hear you on the limits achievable with a touch screen or computer keyboard and I am glad you purchased a wing.

The difference one of our wings makes to programming and playback is huge. Really powers up the busking possibilities.

Best Regards

Philip Watson
[email protected]
Director, ChamSys USA

This seems like what Martin was trying to do with M-Touch. I agree on the Chamsys point, their "low cost" mini wing is $1,250 which is a big jump to those who are trying to step up from a $100 dongle. Another avenue I have thought about is to make the software multi-touch compatible as a 22 inch 10-point multi-touch monitor goes for ~$300. Not as great as a wing, but a marked step up from only being able to use 1 fader at a time in MagicQ. I do like the disign of your software. It is easy to use(and has a pretty and inviting user interface) like some of the DJ software available however is much more powerful. Honestly your software is already levels above Chamsys in user interface giving very graphical control. I am really excited as to where the software is going and I am already looking into fitting a Cognito2 into my school's tight budget.

Good Evening!

Well now, compliments are always gratefully and humbly accepted! I'll leave it to our developers to comment in more detail on multi-touch. I made reference in an earlier post as to why we stayed away from that. For now - and I think for the foreseeable future - our multi-touch user interface is the desk itself. When you get closer to fitting one in to your school's budget, PM me and we'll see about getting you in touch with a dealer in your market.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel

Good Evening!

Well now, compliments are always gratefully and humbly accepted! I'll leave it to our developers to comment in more detail on multi-touch. I made reference in an earlier post as to why we stayed away from that. For now - and I think for the foreseeable future - our multi-touch user interface is the desk itself. When you get closer to fitting one in to your school's budget, PM me and we'll see about getting you in touch with a dealer in your market.

Best Regards,
Pathway Connectivity

Van Rommel

With regards to Multi-Touch on Cognito 2 and Choreo embedded hardware, it was a hotly debated topic internally as we brought the products to market. I'd love to know what the perceived advantages of this are on a 7" touchscreen -- mostly to validate our internal reasoning ( aside from the patent problem!). Please let us know!

When it cones to Cognito PC, however, we've engineered it such that there are a TON of keyboard shortcuts that get you to just about everything ( try the F Keys -- they're bump buttons!), and with the current release of software ( and a DMX input node) you can now use any old DMX console ( think a cheap old NSI or Leprecon thing!) as a fader wing, along with a multi-touch display on the PC. We don't prevent multi touch on the PC side at all -- just in embedded, so if your OS supports it it should work just fine.

The DMX input as a fader expansion (with or without a node) and the keyboard shortcuts (with a USB keyboard) also work on Cognito PC and Choreo.

Regards,

Pathway Connectivity

Gary Douglas
Lead Software Developer

With regards to Multi-Touch on Cognito 2 and Choreo embedded hardware, it was a hotly debated topic internally as we brought the products to market. I'd love to know what the perceived advantages of this are on a 7" touchscreen -- mostly to validate our internal reasoning ( aside from the patent problem!). Please let us know!

When it cones to Cognito PC, however, we've engineered it such that there are a TON of keyboard shortcuts that get you to just about everything ( try the F Keys -- they're bump buttons!), and with the current release of software ( and a DMX input node) you can now use any old DMX console ( think a cheap old NSI or Leprecon thing!) as a fader wing, along with a multi-touch display on the PC. We don't prevent multi touch on the PC side at all -- just in embedded, so if your OS supports it it should work just fine.

The DMX input as a fader expansion (with or without a node) and the keyboard shortcuts (with a USB keyboard) also work on Cognito PC and Choreo.

Regards,

Pathway Connectivity

Gary Douglas
Lead Software Developer

On the full size Cognito console there is little use in multi-touch beyond framing shutters which are only rarely used with a board in it's price range. However the Choreo, while a great value to the infomed person, lacks physical faders and is very expensive compared to other wall mounted lighting control panels which will likely not be missed by the school administrator or confrence center manager who must grant the money to purchase it. To the programmer the choreo is very powerful for p[rogramming and control tool, however all the administrator sees is a very expensive light switch that fails to be able to do something as simple as turning on multiple groups of lights at once. Comparing to other commercial control systems like Savant which uses an iPad mini (or full) as the wall mount controller and has full mulittouch capabilities (although it does need a centalized controller and is not completey standalone. This wouldn't be a problem for a performance facility with a knowlegeable technical director however it may limit expansion into other industries. If multitouch is prohibitevely expensive due to IP another option would be seperate, matching wall panels with physical handles. This would also alleviate issues that i alluded to earlier in the thread about multiple units networked together without having to buy many expensive panels just to act as a glorified light switch because the main one is doing all of the heavy lifting.

Though I am probably going beyond the intended scope of this product so I may jsut be talking out of my ass.

Thanks,
Tech

On the full size Cognito console there is little use in multi-touch beyond framing shutters which are only rarely used with a board in it's price range. However the Choreo, while a great value to the infomed person, lacks physical faders and is very expensive compared to other wall mounted lighting control panels which will likely not be missed by the school administrator or confrence center manager who must grant the money to purchase it. To the programmer the choreo is very powerful for p[rogramming and control tool, however all the administrator sees is a very expensive light switch that fails to be able to do something as simple as turning on multiple groups of lights at once. Comparing to other commercial control systems like Savant which uses an iPad mini (or full) as the wall mount controller and has full mulittouch capabilities (although it does need a centalized controller and is not completey standalone. This wouldn't be a problem for a performance facility with a knowlegeable technical director however it may limit expansion into other industries. If multitouch is prohibitevely expensive due to IP another option would be seperate, matching wall panels with physical handles. This would also alleviate issues that i alluded to earlier in the thread about multiple units networked together without having to buy many expensive panels just to act as a glorified light switch because the main one is doing all of the heavy lifting.

Though I am probably going beyond the intended scope of this product so I may jsut be talking out of my ass.

Thanks,
Tech
Duly noted. Thanks for the real-world perspective.

Our entire development and support teams are watching this space, and we LOVE hearing about products and features you need to win in the market. Getting validation (or invalidation as the case may be) for our development roadmap is key to success for us all. Every suggestion helps.

Unfortunately I can't elaborate on any details of Van's aforementioned roadmap at this point but I hope the results are as exciting as we all think they're going to be.

Keep the comments coming!

Regards, and thanks for taking time out to join the discussion,

Pathway Connectivity

Gary Douglas
Lead Software Developer

I'll be there to see what you've got up your sleeve!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back