PC Based DMX Control Board?

moojoe said:
well the software itsself is free. the second link is the download. but you need the widget. check your local theatre supply store, or contact BMI Supply or Production Advantage (quick google search for both). i would highly suggest the programming wing if you were going togo with that since programming an entire show on the keyboard is absolute hell. hogPC is awsome, its what i use almost exculisivly, and i just love it.

i would suggest an actual board though for learning purposes mainly, but also because it may be cheeper. just look into both options, dont only look at PC controllers. it will limit your options. you may find the perfect actual board if you look.

ty for your input, its not like the PC is my only option but it seemed like a very good option, and was reccomended by my previous teacher. Also my school also has a board but it is very small, outdated, and if we get new lights then it will have to be updated. (We have an NSI/leviton 7000 series board 16 channel.)

yea, that was actually going to be my next suggestion. look into the ETC Smartfade. its a new console which runs for about $1129 for the smartfade 12/48, and $1453 for the smartfade 24/96. defently look into that board.

The reason I went with a pc based solution is because I travel a lot, doing shows for different people, in different venues, and often with vary little time to program. With LJ, or any of the others, I can sit in the airport, and on the plane, and do a lot of stuff to get ready for the show. Even with conventionals, one can make a lot of cues without ever seeing anything.

As for which to buy, I'd stay away from anything that wasn't Hog or Martin. Not only are the actual desks better than all the others, the support, the user libraries, the ease of use, etc. are just far superior.

::tips his hat to HogPC::

I think hogpc is pretty nice, but you need the $1200 widget :(.

It can be a bit clunky at first, especially since I came from a strictly ETC background, but it makes a lot of sense sometimes.

if you do go for hogPC, print out the manual, sit down with the program, and just go through the manual and the program, youll learn everythign you need.

well, I have recieved various quotes for the hog2PC widget and i must say i wasnt expecting what they gave me, that said, i am now in the market for a new board im going to scrap my idea of using a pc based board and just go for a standalone.

What was the lowest price given to you?

$1775 + $20 S&H, i realize it might be chaper than a board, but i still need to come up with the comp to run it on (i can get one for free, maybe) and a touchscreen monitor (800 or so, found a 17" for 600 though).

Then I'd look at the SmartFade by ETC. It looks like a very solid board, with some features that I think would prove really handy. Stage Technology sells the 48 ch ver for $1288 and the 96 ch ver for $1657. Plus you get their percentage discount, and with that price it falls into the 10% category, so you get 10% off that price.

LJ is just as good, and I think better in a lot of ways. About $1400, street.

man, i dont know what i am going to do now, the smartfade is a viable option but not very much different than what i have now, just a bit newer and has a couple more options. I guess ill just keep looking.

I have one question though, is the hog2pc software good with stationary lights?

yea, its pretty good i guess, i mean. it can run them without a problem, its just geared towards movers.

in my current show, im using 100 something conventionals (stationary lights) with 2 movers, running off of HogIIPC, it runs just fine.

Yeah, I have no problem running conventionals with it. It has a crossfade fader, but I've never used it...:)
Tbeck, you know you dont *need* a touchscreen monitor, right? I mean, it's not as sexy without it, but you don't need it.

yea, the only thing nessecary is the widget. ive never used a touch screen, but i do highly recomend the programming wing.

Inexpensive PC DMX interfaces= $60

Buy a PC USB DMX interface here for $60:
http://enttec.com (click on Open DMX USB Interface)
Free lighting control software also on this site. Also info and source code so you can program your own in Visual BASIC or C++ or Python or ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back