PDA Based lighting applications

drumbum

So I'm looking to find any kind of software that i can put on my PDA that pertains to lighting. I know it exists, i just don't know where to find it. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

http://www.etcconnect.com/products/products.asp?177
http://www.interactive-online.com/figment/
http://www.productionadvantageonline.com/Sidewinder.htm
http://www.lifact.com/products.html

Pretty convenient way of focusing. I actually know a guy who picked up a system that hooks up to a cordless phone. He says it's great, but i dunno, cordless phone?

I don't know if this is what you're looking for. I can't really think of what else there'd be besides remote control. Of course, it's a great idea to keep all the spreadsheets and lighting paperwork on a laptop or PDA. And of course ETC has great networking capabilities with their visualization programs, as do other manufacturers. Combine that with a wireless node and your laptop is infinitely powerful, however unreliable.

i would love a program like LD calculator on my PDA, just soemthign that lets me do electrics equations.

theoreticly you can install any program on a windows based PDA, As it is i convert my plots to PDF and put them on my pda, i want to try installing lightwright as well.

but any programs specificly made for a pda would be great.

JP12687 said:
theoreticly you can install any program on a windows based PDA, As it is i convert my plots to PDF and put them on my pda, i want to try installing lightwright as well.

Most definetely this is not the case. Your windows box is of what's know as i386 architecture. It uses the Intel 80386 instruction set and architecture. Newer 64 bit PCs are the x64 architecture. Your PDA is a totally different processor, ARM, MIPS are two that come to mind. Apps compiled in i386 machine code use totally different instruction sets than the ARM CPU on your PDA...

I know LPS by Rosco has a PDA version. But this costs about $99USA and its is for light plots.

I spent a good amount of time today attempting to get a Vectorworks plot and Lightwright hookup into .pdf format (successful) and thence onto Adobe for Palm (not successful), giving credit to Josh for the thought.

I regularly create Adobe from VW and LW documents, but could not read the image once sent to the Treo (600). The "image" portion is way to small, VW plot especially, and there seems to be no way to zoom in on the Treo. I've played a bit with attempting to make the transferred image from VW into Adobe a much larger file/image, no luck. The LW Print to Adobe is fixed at 54k at any rate, at transfer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

As a comment on the original post, the only PDA/DOS’s that interface directly with a console are ETC/Emphasis, Strand and MA/GrandMA systems (that I'm aware of). Other systems are out there - Palm and Windows Pocket PC (or whatever they're calling it now) that transmit DMX, but it's a different channel setup from what's on the console - being straight DMX channels. Not as functional, IMO.

The ETC, Strand and MA units are Compaq/HP etc.. running Pocket PC with a WiFi connection. The battery life is sometimes not as much as desired for a full day's work with the HH.

My $.02

SB

Steve,

I'm using the samsung I730, its a windows based phone it uses something called picsel browser which opens up all PDF files.

I am unsure about the treo 600, as i never tried it when i had that phone, but i will look into it.

Josh

I'm not having any trouble getting the files into Adobe and over to the Treo. That all works fine.

I just can't actually read a damned thing on the screen !. I can see a light plot. It's about 1-1/2" by 2-1/2" in size, with no zoom ability. Ditto the LW image. Cannot zoom in to read.

Any thoughts about image size ?. Prior to converting ?.

My problem is not enough understanding of Adobe.

SB

SB

I'd bet that even with a spare battery and cradle, the entire cost of the (HP/Dell/Compaq Pocket PC) unit, spares and software, plus WiFi router is a good bit cheaper then a wired remote from either Strand or ETC as well as cheaper then a Radio RFU from ETC.

Hmmm......

When's my Emphasis system due in ?......

SB

I own the PDA already . . . im looking for more things like an LD calc and all for my PDA

LD Calc for PDA....I'll talk to Paul and see what he thinks about it, but since its more a hobby of his I doubt he will create it any time soon.

etc makes a pda based wireless remote focus unit called the wrfu the theatre i work in has one it works fine but it requires a expression or obsession board with avaliable server the activation code and update (around 450$) and a pda with wireless capcaity thats not counting the acess point and possible network chip

problems with this system
initial outlay of funds
configuring the ip addresses (absolute nightmare)
but after that you have a functioning extencion of your lght board including all the basic functions: channel,at, all the #, macro, etc

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:42 am Post subject:

------------------------------------------------------------etcrulesyour face wrote:

"etc makes a pda based wireless remote focus unit called the wrfu the theatre i work in has one it works fine but it requires a expression or obsession board with avaliable server the activation code and update (around 450$) and a pda with wireless capcaity thats not counting the acess point and possible network chip "

The Pocket PC based unit you are refering to only works with with an Emphasis system, not plain vanilla Express/ion (as well as working with OBII).

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back