Teaching Perfectionism in the collegiate setting

What Rigger... the majority of my designers are students. They will sometimes fall behind and have to make up some work out of their own time but I also try to work with them before they turn in their plots and catch them if they are being too ambitious. All of my workers are students too so there is no chance for overtime work. They all have classes and homework they need to get to.

When we do bring in professional designers, they are able to work with the time we have. As long as they understand that their crew is very (VERY) green.

Don't you just hate when reality thwarts artistic vision.
I hate when directors don't understand this.
Don't want face light on the cyc? Then don't block so far upstage!

I work one community theater where I got the complaint that there were too many shadows on the back wall. Well Madam, you only have front light and it's hung at 8', light moves in straight lines. "Well we didn't used to have the shadows" Well Madam, you used to just turn on every single light to 100% and wash everything out.

It was around then that I realized that 'washed out' was the look she wanted, so I just set everything to 75% and asked not to be listed in the program as the lighting designer. She was happy, I got paid the same stipend I was getting anyways. Win / Win ?

I hate when directors don't understand this.
Don't want face light on the cyc? Then don't block so far upstage!

I work one community theater where I got the complaint that there were too many shadows on the back wall. Well Madam, you only have front light and it's hung at 8', light moves in straight lines. "Well we didn't used to have the shadows" Well Madam, you used to just turn on every single light to 100% and wash everything out.

It was around then that I realized that 'washed out' was the look she wanted, so I just set everything to 75% and asked not to be listed in the program as the lighting designer. She was happy, I got paid the same stipend I was getting anyways. Win / Win ?
@TheaterEd @JohnD Were they warm white or cool white fluorescents, or perhaps day light fluorescents?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back