Performer Flying System

rsmentele

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
As I was doing some research for a class I am teaching I came across this product.....

Im not sure what I feel about this. It seems that they are marketing it more towards the aerial artist/performer segment. Those folk usually know what they are doing and follow safety protocols. It looks as though they are requiring a waver be signed and proper training be given before a person can purchase a system, but it still leaves me a bit uncomfortable. The use of a plastic clamshell case for ballast makes me the most worried.... not sure that is rated for load?......

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has come across this and what the general feel is for the product. If anyone with first hand knowledge is here, by all means chime in!

I just watched a few more videos on this. It actually seems like some of the custom hardware made for this product is quite well made and engineered. I like the foot lock capability of the product. Having worked with other performer flying apparatus, this is a nice upgrade.
The ballast box/clam shell case is reinforced with the use of an internal support frame, but knowing those cases, I would like to see them suggest using a locking device to provide a little more security in keeping it closed. We've all had locks on those fail. I wouldn't trust them in this use.

I haven't seen this particular model but the portable lifts show up from time to time at dance competitions. In those instances they have been assembled and operated by the acrobatics instructors who seem very well trained.

My take on it? Yeah if you complete the training and your performer knows what they are doing and proper safety protocols are followed you are still going to run smack dab into the wall of "Our rigging systems are not intended for the lifting of humans." that you will find in any theatre, except maybe in Vegas.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones I have seen are freestanding.
the Head and Loft blocks are tied off to a batten, typically. Now if they were tied to a loft beam it would be a different story.

If you watch the very beginning of the video in the link above you'll see the Head block attached to a pair of married battens and being flown to elevation. Another issue is the 'pulley' they use as a loft block and its attachment then there's the whole loading-counterweight-into-a-pelican-case thing.

Last edited:
While my years of using Rock Exotica gear for industrial climbing has given me no worries or even a second thought to their integrity (mechanical and as a company), this still makes me nervous and using this
almost cost someone their job at my gig.

It is a highly specialized piece of gear. It's not only a matter of being able to demonstrate safe handling, assembly and operation of the gear- it's the much more intangible part of "Does the person purchasing this set up get it? Do they have the humility to know when and how to not use this? Do they have the willingness and the ability to say no and not give in to some dingbat director trying to persuade them otherwise?"

Due to its small size and relative stealthiness, I wonder how many venues this has shown up in and the house TD was not given a heads up? "Our guy is trained, it's ok!" I wouldn't even engage. It wouldn't get hung.

It's got potential, but I know we aren't touching it at my place. I could be a fan in the future, but this has to evolve a bit first.

My take on it? Yeah if you complete the training and your performer knows what they are doing and proper safety protocols are followed you are still going to run smack dab into the wall of "Our rigging systems are not intended for the lifting of humans." that you will find in any theatre, except maybe in Vegas.

FWIW, I hired Hall Associates in several years ago and they did a very similar thing. Attached their rig to a batten, flew it out all the way, and ratchet strapped the arbor down to the floor block or fly rail structure. I don't get into much performer flying though so I can't speak to how that practice compares to what you'd see from Foy or anyone else, but there was an entire walkable grid they could've worked off of if they really wanted to secure to actual structure.

FWIW, I hired Hall Associates in several years ago and they did a very similar thing. Attached their rig to a batten, flew it out all the way, and ratchet strapped the arbor down to the floor block or fly rail structure. I don't get into much performer flying though so I can't speak to how that practice compares to what you'd see from Foy or anyone else, but there was an entire walkable grid they could've worked off of if they really wanted to secure to actual structure.

Last time I used Foy they did that too, and guyed to the grid with GAC and circus hitches.

I just want to know if a Pelican Case is approved for lifting a live performer....did I see that right???

I had the same initial reaction, however, if you watch the quick-use video there is an interal metal frame that goes through the top and bottom of the case so the metal rack takes the lifting stress and the plastic case acts more as a container to keep the counter weights aligned and on the arbor.

My reaction is (and I'm guessing this is covered in their actual training process) is the spec of the rope, and how many small aerial companies will go out to Home-D in a year and replace the poly-sheathed rated rope with a lovely piece of synthetic line from the utility spools at home-d.

Looks like the product itself is fine, but as usual, comes down to training and implementation skills of the user.

The fact that Delbert Hall is one of the two listed approved trainers would give me some confidence. Yes, this could be misused like any other piece of gear. You don't have to be an electrician to buy wire, but you must be qualified to install it.

I'm sure if Mr Hall is involved the product is good for the use intended, as trained for, and exclusively using the materials provided.

My concerns are with the casual observer who undertakes a home-brew version and the significant potential for catastrophic, life-altering failure from such a hobbyist creation. Sometimes we make things *look* too easy or simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back