Period costumes?

I'm attempting to make a bustle skirt out of black satin. It must be a floor length piece, with the full back bustle. What would be the best way to create the skirt?

All thoughts would be appreciated and helpful. Thanks!

WoW ! that's a great question! I'm going to have to pull out my history of costuming book..... I thought the bustle was made and covered independently of the skirt. Now I'm intrigued.

The Bustle was as constructed piece that went under the skirt. along the lines of the hoops that were under hoop skirts

Patterns - Historic Sewing Patterns

You might be interested in the
Victorian Petticoat & Bustle

by Laughing Moon Mercantile

00-PATTERN-02
Petticoat with three length options

Sharyn
and stuffed bustle (1870-1876 & 1883-1887)

A bustle is usually a gathering of fabric at the back of a skirt. Separate units (like bum rolls & pannie (sp?) (Pronounced: Pan yay), sometimes metal cages were even used...) can be used to accentuate the look of the bustle, but the actual bustle is made by gathering the fabric in an artistic fashion. It takes a lot of fabric to get the size of a bustle that most people have an image for in their head. If it is for stage, consider padding the bustle with a bum roll or just batting underneath the bustled fabric. You may also try building the bustle as a separate unit that ties on over the main skirt. I have linked a couple of examples that might give you an idea for what to do.
Hope this helps!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back