The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Petzl "MYO" and "MYO Belt" Headlamps Burn Hazard

Discussion in 'News' started by derekleffew, Oct 3, 2008.

1. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

From this site:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a safety alert for the following consumer products. Consumers should immediately stop using rechargable batteries with any of the products listed below. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Name of Product: “MYO” and “MYO Belt” Headlamps[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Units: About 322,000[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Distributor: Petzl America, of Clearfield, Utah[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Manufacturer: Petzl S.A., of Crolles, France[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Hazard: If the headlamp is used with rechargeable batteries, the cable connecting the battery pack to the lamp can spark, melt, or catch fire. This poses a burn hazard to consumers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Incidents/Injuries: Petzl has received 13 reports of sparking and/or melting, with 2 reports of flames. One consumer received a minor burn to the hand, and another experienced singed hair.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Description: This safety alert involves the “MYO” and “MYO Belt” headlamps with name and model numbers listed below. The “MYO” headlamps have a battery pack attached to the headband. The “MYO Belt” headlamps have a remote battery pack attached to the headlamp via a long electric cable.[/FONT]

2. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Re: Petzl

I'll pass this one on, I know a few people who use those. I personally use the Raynovac LED one from wally world, but thats just me.

3. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Re: Petzl Headlamp

Yeah, my $2.99 Harbor Freight specials have never, to my knowledge, been recalled.
    [​IMG]

4. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Minion CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    Re: Petzl Headlamp

Can you only use that if you have a steel plate in your head?

5. Pip

Pip Active Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  6. venuetech

venuetech Well-Known Member

aud man out
    Re: Petzl Headlamps Burn Hazard

I think the magnet is to increase blood flow in your frontal lobe:rolleyes:

7. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

Re: Petzl Headlamps Burn Hazard

or is the magnet supposed to increase your gas miliage. People be aware that harbor freight did have a recall on their automotive fuses. Unfortuatly i had already installed a bunch of them in a diesel powered hydraulic pump that is somewhere in the world........