PFC: Can I get a couple extra eyeballs on a Dante problem?

This was the thread I was referencing- https://www.controlbooth.com/thread...aviom-switch-audio-popping.47679/#post-421409

The main TLDR there was we had a simple UTP cable run on the AES50 lines and it would only sort of work with the clock sync set to internal to the M32, but we'd end up with weird pops and clicks in the audio post-Dante. Switching to the Dante card for clock (which is the appropriate choice when using Dante) would cause the death pop. Fix was buying a pro-made Ethercon cable.

However, in the past 2-3 weeks, we've seen it intermittently lose sync even with the correct cable, I'm not sure what has changed. It's a terrible hardware issue and I just can't recommend this set up for use. We are stuck with it for the time being, but it's unreliable.

This was the thread I was referencing- https://www.controlbooth.com/thread...aviom-switch-audio-popping.47679/#post-421409

The main TLDR there was we had a simple UTP cable run on the AES50 lines and it would only sort of work with the clock sync set to internal to the M32, but we'd end up with weird pops and clicks in the audio post-Dante. Switching to the Dante card for clock (which is the appropriate choice when using Dante) would cause the death pop. Fix was buying a pro-made Ethercon cable.

However, in the past 2-3 weeks, we've seen it intermittently lose sync even with the correct cable, I'm not sure what has changed. It's a terrible hardware issue and I just can't recommend this set up for use. We are stuck with it for the time being, but it's unreliable.
With the humidity and salt air in your neck of the woods, the cause could simply be oxidized RJ45s. Clean all of the connectors with DeoxIt D5, then treat with Gold G5.

Just tried that today. Had the same fault from an identical setup in the other venue today. I can't fathom what else would cause it to crop up like that. We don't deal with the salt air as much, but I am thinking humidity is a factor.

If you search the forum, you might find more. It boils down to always use shielded cat 5e/6, with ethercon connectors, for AES50. The shielding and grounding through the ethercon shell prevents static electricity from being induced into the wire pairs, causing a sync unlock and nasty noises. Mechanical disruption (bending, twisting, kinking, crushing) to the pairs can also cause issues, so rugged cable and protecting it from being stepped on or rolled across is also a good idea. It's a hardware issue that Behringer did not know about until the X32 was in the field, so the manual does not mention it. They later acknowledged the issue and came out with a rugged cable.
I've searched more than just this forum but everything seemed related to long inadequate AES50 runs
My AES50 cables are only 24" long and TMB Cat5e ruggedized pro-grade with ethercons, the stage boxes are in the same rack as the mixer all on the same sine-wave UPS and I run remote touchscreen at FOH using another 175' pro ruggedized cat-6 on the control network.
The control port along with the Dante card are normal 8p8c RJ-45 jacks so I use shielded patch cords (but ethercon shells removed) between everything and the switches. Is this static problem only on the AES50 ports or all ports?

I've searched more than just this forum but everything seemed related to long inadequate AES50 runs
My AES50 cables are only 24" long and TMB Cat5e ruggedized pro-grade with ethercons, the stage boxes are in the same rack as the mixer all on the same sine-wave UPS and I run remote touchscreen at FOH using another 175' pro ruggedized cat-6 on the control network.
The control port along with the Dante card are normal 8p8c RJ-45 jacks so I use shielded patch cords (but ethercon shells removed) between everything and the switches. Is this static problem only on the AES50 ports or all ports?
The issues and causes identified by @FMEng exist regardless of length and are not mitigated by co-location in the same rack or even running a ground wire to every device the AES-50 connects to.

Does that mean any given non-compliant installation will fail? No. Is initial success of a non-compliant installation determinate of long term success? No.

We had a 3 day event in one of the auditorium spaces in our PAC and the audioperson used 150ft of CAT6 UTP to connect the S32 to the X32, and taped the line down in an expansion joint in the floor. I don't recall a cable-related issue, but I was expecting them. The next time we probably won't be so lucky.

As far as I know, the issue is just with AES50 ports. I've been running Dante and control on UTP for a year now without issue. No AES50 on that particular install. Since the Dante card was a later design, I suspect the Tribe didn't make the mistake they did with the AES50 ports.

I've used AES50 for quite a few temporary setups, with rugged STP of 130-250 feet, and never had a problem. No Dante or control in those instances.

Are the 24" ethercon cables STP or UTP? STP is harder to find and it's easy to get the wrong type. I have a long, expensive, UTP ethercon cable collecting dust because I bought it before I learned of the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back