The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Phantom Power

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by Eboy87, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Eboy87

Eboy87 Well-Known Member

So I know they make stand-alone phantom power supplies for mics, but do they make the opposite? I'm looking into getting a Cascade Fat Head, but my concern is running into situations with a broken snake leaking phantom power onto all channels. I don't really want my ribbon mic becoming a speaker for a very short period of time. Do they make a phantom power blocking device?

Or in this case, since I can order one with a transformer, do I not need to worry about phantom? Everyone I've spoken with (since I don't have first hand experience with ribbons) says ribbon + phantom = no more ribbon.

Thoughts?

2. mbenonis

mbenonis Wireless Guy Administrator Premium Member

Radio Engineer
    If there is a transformer between your microphone and the console, phantom power will be blocked. Short of adding a transformer, you could also put two capacitors in line (one on the + and one on the - leg), but a transformer would be a much nicer solution. You'll want a transformer with a 1:1 windings ratio so as not to change the impedance that the microphone sees.

It's worth noting that GOOD transformers are fairly costly...expect to pay in the neighborhood of $100 for a Jensen transformer box. That said, if you are investing in a good ribbon microphone, this figure shouldn't make you blink too much.

EDIT: Some links:
    http://www.jensen-transformers.com/ (Jensen Transformers; lots of good info here)
    http://www.radialeng.com/di-twiniso.htm (Dual-Channel Jensen-Xfmr-based isolator)

3. museav

museav CBMod CB Mods Departed Member

Acoustical, audio and audiovisual consultant
  4. Eboy87

Eboy87 Well-Known Member

Thanks Muse, somehow I missed that. And yes, they do have a transformer in them; I have the option to order the standard or the Lundahl. I should think the standard suits my needs just fine.

5. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Your premise is a little shaky. A broken snake isn't likely to "leak phantom power onto all channels." Maybe that'll happen if you squish it by driving a big truck over it, (flattening/shredding the cable) but otherwise the most common failure is simply an open wire on one pin of a channel.

Phantom power is only a concern with some models of VINTAGE ribbon mics because they had a grounded center tap on the internal matching transformer. And then, it is only a concern while plugging things together. Basically, unless you are using a 40+ year old RCA, don't lose any sleep over it.