Philips Selecon PLCYC LED Luminaire

Well that's kinda true... But in theory Strand has been into LED's for quite sometime. They were bought out by Phillips in February 2009 so by connection they are also tied to color kinetics, the primary patent holder for LED RGB color mixing. But this is the first fixture with Strands name on it rather than CK's

... But this is the first fixture with Strand's name on it rather than CK's
Philips has been marketing the PL1 and PL3 under the Selecon brand for a few years now. I don't see the name Strand anywhere in the cut sheet or user manual for the PLCyc. (From what I can tell, the "new" Strand Leko Lite (old SL with different socket and lamp) may be the only luminaire left to carry the Strand name.) Interestingly, there's this Wing RGB/Tuneable White LED Wall Washer which appears to be an architectural version of the PLCYC1.

I'd say this thread's title is erroneous/misleading. [ EDIT: Thread title changed from Strand to Selecon. ] The lighting game sure is confusing, at least with some manufacturers.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying derekleffew.
Philips Strand Lightings last luminaire is the Leko Lite. Philips Selecon sells the PL series of LED fixtures. That includes the PL 1, the PL 3, and the PL CYC. Coming soon, there will also be the PL House light and the Profile. All of them use the same led engine that was first used in the VLX. Usually all of these are shown at the standard trade shows. I am not going to go into all the sales aspects of the products here, but if anyone wants to know anything about them, or is interested in buying some, or getting a demo for their space, let me know, I’ll get you in contact with the appropriate person. I can see how the branding is confusing, Strand and Selecon are two different brands, but our sales force is combined, so often we are grouped together in various media settings, like our website. We usually show together because Strand is controls and dimming, Selecon is luminaires, so we complement each other.

I'd say this thread's title is erroneous/misleading. The lighting game sure is confusing, at least with some manufacturers.

Feel free to change it. I just saw it on Strands website on the front page, and clicked on it. I never really saw anything relating to a brand, so I just assumed it was Strand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Fresnelite now indeed discontinued?

Saw that PLCYC in a trade mag listing almost half a year ago. I wonder how it compares to the SpectraCyc in terms of coverage and color mixing. Would have loved to have had it in my shoot out of LED cyc units a year ago.

Philips now has Vari*Lite for movers, Strand for dimming & control, Selecon for conventional instruments and CK for LED and its related intellectual property.

Is the Fresnelite now indeed discontinued?

Saw that PLCYC in a trade mag listing almost half a year ago. I wonder how it compares to the SpectraCyc in terms of coverage and color mixing. Would have loved to have had it in my shoot out of LED cyc units a year ago.

Philips now has Vari*Lite for movers, Strand for dimming & control, Selecon for conventional instruments and CK for LED and its related intellectual property.

If I recall correctly, the Altman SpectraCyc is a 100 watt LED fixture. The PLCYC is listed as 150 watts. I demoed the Altman shortly after it came out. The beam was nice and even. I didn't have a chance to hang it, but on the floor as a ground row, the beam came down very low & close to the floor on the cyc due to the nice reflector design. It wasn't very bright back then, though; it didn't seem like 100 watts. There were several colors that had that funny fake "LED" color look. It faded out long before it hit the top of my 20ft cyc. It was also steppy at the very bottom of a fade out. The Chroma-Q ColorForce blows it (Altman) completely away. They may have upgraded the Altman to higher intensity and fixed the fade out since I demoed it, though.

If I recall correctly, the Altman SpectraCyc is a 100 watt LED fixture. The PLCYC is listed as 150 watts. I demoed the Altman shortly after it came out. The beam was nice and even. I didn't have a chance to hang it, but on the floor as a ground row, the beam came down very low & close to the floor on the cyc due to the nice reflector design. It wasn't very bright back then, though; it didn't seem like 100 watts. There were several colors that had that funny fake "LED" color look. It faded out long before it hit the top of my 20ft cyc. It was also steppy at the very bottom of a fade out. The Chroma-Q ColorForce blows it (Altman) completely away. They may have upgraded the Altman to higher intensity and fixed the fade out since I demoed it, though.

The info on the selecon says it's equivalent to at 500w unit so it would probably be fine in smaller spaces. Personally I've never been happy with less than a 1k unit on my 30' tall cyc.

Just saw this port. The Spectra CYC100 has undergone several "upgrades" in LEDs since its creation so I would encourage anyone to demo a unit if they haven't already. Also, we released at LDI the Spectra CYC200 which is 200W RGBA or White LEDs for your 30'+ cyc.

Check the link:

Altman Lighting: New LED Spectra Cyc 200

It is phenominal if you haven't seen it yet.

Dredging up this post, sorry.
I've never used or seen a Philips PLCYC but I have a kids theatre looking at getting a couple for next to free.
Does anyone have any previous use with these as cyc lights?

We have 4 of these on our cyc. Could do with another 4 but the budget for the school does not allow for them. They perform quite nicely at 20ft up and about 4 ft off the cyc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back