Photos of a 1920's theatre today.

tjrobb

Many have requested photos of the theatre I work at. It was built in the late 1920's, and is currently undergoing massive repair and renovation (it was hit in last June's flood) so I took some time to shoot a few photos. Enjoy!

T Robb's Photos - Pics From TCR | Facebook

Thanks for sharing those! And as much as I love old theatres, that thing looks like a death trap, can't wait to see the photos after the remodel.

Awesome pics, I love the old stuff like that.

Wow, amazing pictures. Those fans are huge.
It really sucks that you guys were hit by the flood. I had no idea how big your theater was, I live 30 mins away from you and have never been.:oops:

WOW!!! What an amazing old space. Do you have a chunk of money to do a real restoration or are you just trying to piece it back together and get it functional? It looks like it could be a really beautiful theater again with the help of 15 million bucks or so.

SO many code violations... it's amazing it didn't burn down or someone didn't get killed working there.

I Love the fans and want to know what's in the Vault. If you spend 10 minutes a day dialing combinations...

thanks for sharing looks amazing !
please do try to open the safe though, even if its empty ! sure you got something that can do it

Those pix of the dome remind me of the Aragon in Chicago. Similar access (climbing ladders laid over the dome ceiling to a catwalk of 2" x 12" that wasn't secured). And no rails, no safety harness points, nothing. And there are riggers up there daily. It's amazing no one gets killed.

Nice pix, jongaduet. Wow, two followspots I don't recognize in pic#40, (although I think the one on the floor is a Phoebus, the panoramic view distorts somewhat). Some sidearms for your Box Boom fixtures would make your life ever so much happier.

Yer right about the phoebus. It's on the floor because it blew up...literally after 7 hours of use. There was a big dispute over who needed to pay for the bulb and the ballast, the installer, phoebus, or the operator (it wasn't me!!!), so it sat for a while.

The other is the mighty lycian midget. I love it, maybe because it was my first.

The other is the mighty Lycian Midget. I love it, maybe because it was my first.
Yes I see now the resemblance, though I've never seen one live. But you must specify Midget II, as it's quite different from the normal Midget and Midget HP!

proxy.php

Lycian Model 1212
proxy.php

1212 Spec

And I can't see how either the Lycian or the Phoebus are useful in a theatre of that size.

The photos may be hard to see, there are indeed rails along ALL walks in the attic (and elsewhere), the only exception is for the one dropoff. As for the 54' foot up drop, it is abandoned and no one is crazy enough to go onto it.

This place is incredible! How did you get involved with it?
Nick

The photos may be hard to see, there are indeed rails along ALL walks in the attic (and elsewhere), the only exception is for the one dropoff. As for the 54' foot up drop, it is abandoned and no one is crazy enough to go onto it.

tj

I don't know what kind of budget you guys have for your restoration, or if you even get to decide on how to spend it, but having just gone through it, I wanna say to you...

GET IT WHILE THE GETTIN' IS GOOD!!!

We spent tons of money then, and now there aint no money fer nuthin. And I could really use a short throw lens for my projector, a couple of subwoofers, and some fresh gobos. I'm just sayin, don't be shy about gettin yer share!

I must admit, jongaduet's photos blew me away. The panoramas themselves are breathtaking, and the theatre itself is gorgeous. One day I'd love to see it!

As for tjrobb's theatre.... Wow. I think that's the only word. Previous posters are right. So many safety hazards, and the 1980's remodel covered up some beautiful architecture. Let us know if you figure out where that pit of death leads to!

A theater here was designed with a strange pit of doom below the fly rail that tied into the orchestra pit... and the roof's drainage system. :doh: When it rains really hard if the main drain backs up, it fills this "tank" below the fly rail and then fills the orchestra pit and potentially fills the house too.

Have you listened to your pit of death on a really rainy day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back