Picking new wash movers (help!!)

camo894

i have been tasked with replacing our old clunky loud source 4 revolutions and was hoping for some recommendations for replacement. These will be hung from a catwalk so we are looking at wash rather than spots but i'm open to the idea of spots since the catwalk isn't terribly far from the stage. we have a budget of around 6-7 grand for each mover and i would prefer if these came from barbizon but that's not a "must".

thanks so much in advance,
cam

I expect you will get a better suggestion if you can be more specific about your needs.

How do these fixtures get used typically? Is that how you want to use the new fixtures?
What sort of features are you hoping to get: framing shutters, colour mixing, zoom, etc?
What is the throw distance from catwalk to stage; that is, how far is "not terribly far"?
How about available power?
How does hanging from a catwalk lead to a decision between wash and spot? What sort of maintenance/relamp budget will you have.
What aspect of "loud" are you hoping to minimize; general fan noise or noise when they are moving?

these fixtures will be used for general washes on the stage
i do want the ability for color mixing
when i mentioned noise i was referring to when they are moving

Some Martin Mac Auras would perform well and keep you under your budget. I use them as front light all the time, the while LEDs let you make a nice range of pale colors, and the zoom gives you flexibility.

thank you for your suggestion on the auras i will definetly look into those.

does anyone know the average price for a mac viper wash? while we are on the subject

thanks

Also check out the Robe Robin 600 wash lights. THese also come in a smaller head 300 or larger 1200.

I work for a corp. lighting company and we own a ton of these. I use them for front wash lights all the time and they do a great Video white. and you can color correct the color temp.

i have been tasked with replacing our old clunky loud source 4 revolutions and was hoping for some recommendations for replacement. These will be hung from a catwalk so we are looking at wash rather than spots but i'm open to the idea of spots since the catwalk isn't terribly far from the stage. we have a budget of around 6-7 grand for each mover and i would prefer if these came from barbizon but that's not a "must".

thanks so much in advance,
cam
Where are you in VA? And any reason why Barbizon? What do you want the lights to do? How bright? How many?

MAC Vipers are the "in" thing right now. They are fast, bright, quiet, and have a beautifully flat field. I'd say if you can afford them, and they do what you want, you will not be disappointed. Just make sure you keep a budget for repairs, because when the time comes, they wont be cheap.

-Tim

Mac Vipers are amazing. Probably the best unit on the market at the moment. Expensive though - in the UK I think they are just shy of ten grand.
With regard to LED washes, the Mac Auras are very good indeed, as are the Robes. Both will give you a fairly convincing tungsten white look which is essential. If you look at other fixtures then do make sure that they can do this. Any cheap-assed LED head will give you a zillion shades of candy pink and other saturated colours, but unless you can emulate tungsten white you are going to get sick of them pretty quick I reckon.

thank you all for your suggestions im currently looking at the clay paky alpha spot 300 as it is not hella expensive and if its the budget we can get some other cool toys if i dont spend all the money on movers

thank you all for your suggestions im currently looking at the clay paky alpha spot 300 as it is not hella expensive and if its the budget we can get some other cool toys if i dont spend all the money on movers
Demo them before getting them, they won't really cut through source 4's very well and the color mixing is weighted a little awkwardly for my taste, though I do love them as backlight fixtures.

There's a very distinct size difference to think about as well - Mac Aura's and wash units like them are compact, easy to hang and move around. A Viper is considerably larger and heavier, and consumes more power. We have Viper Spots, VLXs, and Auras in our inventory, and I would strongly encourage you to demo the Aura knowing that you can get more lights for your money and save on power. That being said, the VLX is a very, very pretty wash light if you go that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back