Pictures of 1920s footlights

LD4Life

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had pictures of 1920s footlights or could direct me to where to find them. I'm currently working on a production of Thoroughly Modern Millie where it has become necessary for a floor-mounted instrument to be used in one scene that will be seen by the audience. Its during a scene where Muzzy performs, so it can look like a light, it just needs to look like a period light. I will have no problems disguising it as long as I can find pictures of the real deal. As of right now, I'm having difficulty doing so on Google and such. If anyone could help, that would be great.

Fuch's will have photos but given most stages won't have been state of the art at the time and instead have been modified gas light one would think especially if use as a scenic element not persay a strip light but more a say 12" on center reflector sticking up would be proper.

Can't remember where or what book but imagine a big soup can that's cut about and widened at the upper part so as to in it's upper half become a reflector surrounding a lamp socket gas flame or lime light. This shape of the can/reflector sort of like a sea shell or set of palm leaves but often a bit more narrow. Spacing can also be much wider for effect.

Them if going period in seeming old would be better for scenic effect. Perhaps look into gas lighting for the stage on the web for what this concept might look like. Otherwise as it were "modern" foot lights for the period are not intended to be seen so there would not be a scenic element to show.

I believe we've commented before on the paucity of information and pictures available of historic footlights. A modern interpretation.

proxy.php

theatrevolution dedicated to the process of discovery

Has the effect in my opinion overall, but not the style as per a prop in use. Good concept in perhaps zip cord interconnecting them (done properly), but lacks in old look in my opinion not persay in design and output, more in reflector shape.

In the twenties most of the footlights were just a trough with cleat style recepitals and bare lamps with a contious metaql curve black plate concealing the lamps from the audience and reflecting some of the light upwards
The old name was floats as at one time it was a trough of oil with sicks floating in them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back