Pie's New Enterprise: The Thread!

I like Gaff's points about including St. Louis somewhere in the title, (because it supports my quick sketch of a logo. :lol:)

Pie, good points on selling your company though, I suppose it is best to stay away from names.

Good luck in your venture. (Can't offer any technical advice.)

On the other hand, I have a little more respect for a company that puts the owner's name in the company name. Plus, you are less likely to run into any copyright infringement issues if you use a generic name. And in your case, the "Z" is probably a benefit - look at how the pharmaceutical companies use "Z" in their product names.

Joe

lol. charch I like your logo except for the fact that I have no Source 4's in my inventory lol.

...2.If I want to sell the business later on it would be harder with that name.
Good thinking ahead. A friend of mine has a lighting company, and says his biggest mistake was naming it "Smith Lighting," as now that he's semi-retired, he can't sell the business. By the way, he's made a couple of million dollars, and never got very big, preferred to stay small. I think his biggest gig that he did with his own equipment was 6 PARbars. He also never bought any equipment new, and did film/video lighting way more than live stuff. He subbed out all the larger shows, and still made a nice profit.

yeah, I've heard a lot of places in st. louis tried to rapidly grow and it made business a lot harder.

dang, SLPI does have a cool sound to it....

What about Stella Lights?

Good point on using the name and not being able to sell later. Another point to consider is using words like lighting or productions in the name. Are you only going to do lighting? Are you only going to do production? What if you want to open a retail store some day? What if you want to rent audio? What if you want to expand someday to become a full service rental, retail, installation, and production business? A more generic name allows you to do any or all of those things.

The big theater store locally is Pacific Northwest Theater Associates... they go by their initials. They rent, they install, they do retail, they will supply someone to run the gig too. That's a good generic name. "Theater Associates", what does that really mean? Not a lot really but it does tell you as a potential customer that it's the kind of store that will have exactly what we are looking for. At the same time, it's nice and vague allowing them to do anything they want.

Here's another local example. "Seattle Lighting" and "Northern Lights". One of these is the name of a company that sells household coffee table lamps and chandeliers the other one is a theater lighting and sound sales and rental place. There's no way for you to know which is which from the phone book.

ARCH Productions

A______ Rentals of Concert Hardware

*shrug* fill in the blank, couldn't think of anything

I thought alot about Zeiser Lighting but there are two things holding me back.
1.Zeiser is a little hard to spell
2.If I want to sell the business later on it would be harder with that name.

About the second item, (and maybe I'm missing something) but if you were to sell the business, I think there are only two things a buyer wants:

a. Your inventory and physical stuff - lights, cables, vehicles, building

b. Your talents - that is, that if they buy your business they "buy" you as an employee or partner.

Maybe they want either or maybe they want both. Or maybe you are only selling one or both.

You should be able to keep your company name out of the sale. Especially if you were no longer involved with it. And this is regardless of what company name you choose. If a customer is calling, there is a good chance it is by some name recognition or recommendation and if you aren't there the customer just may try somewhere else.

Its not like you are a manufacturer where the is a product out there with name recognition.

Joe

About the second item, (and maybe I'm missing something) but if you were to sell the business, I think there are only two things a buyer wants:
a. Your inventory and physical stuff - lights, cables, vehicles, building
b. Your talents - that is, that if they buy your business they "buy" you as an employee or partner.
Maybe they want either or maybe they want both. Or maybe you are only selling one or both.
You should be able to keep your company name out of the sale. Especially if you were no longer involved with it. And this is regardless of what company name you choose. If a customer is calling, there is a good chance it is by some name recognition or recommendation and if you aren't there the customer just may try somewhere else.
Its not like you are a manufacturer where the is a product out there with name recognition.
Joe

You're missing the point. 10 years from now when Pie builds up a good solid business with a great reputation and client list. If someone else wants to buy his business they are going to want to buy the name too. The purchasing company (in theory) will work hard to keep those old customers and do their best to draw attention away from the fact that Pie is no longer the owner. Customers will hopefully call and be willing to keep doing business with Pie's company even if he is no longer the owner because that's who they have always dealt with. It's a lot harder to do this if it's a personal name.

Pie since the numbers are so low I don't think I would list the actual number of instruments you own. I think it would look better to just say the types of equipment.

Also to get really picky (because I know Derek will if I don't): The second half of your "low power consumption" bullet point contains an impressive run on sentence. It took me two reads to figure out what you were saying. It at least needs some comas or a complete rewrite into two sentences.

Best wishes as always!

Also, do you want to mention that you would cross-rent more equipment? I'd figure that most people renting from you would realize that'd be a standard drill, and if they don't, why let them realize that you'd be playing the middle man?

Also to get really picky (because I know Derek will if I don't): The second half of your "low power consumption" bullet point contains an impressive run on sentence. It took me two reads to figure out what you were saying. It at least needs some comas or a complete rewrite into two sentences.

Possible revision:

Low Power Consumption: Our entire setup runs on only one 20 amp power outlet! The energy efficient LED lights, which make up most of our rig, ensure that, come showtime, the lights won't be using all of the always limited number of outlets in a venue!

Best of luck!

1. Changed the low power bit to Capi's suggestion, well after taking out the excesive amount of commas he used.
2.Gaff, the people who have been most adamanet in demanding I get a website up want that, I understand what you are saying, but I am not too concerned.
3.Sax, I'm not sure they would know that I would do that, I'm trying to sell my service more than the equipment, and I don't want to loose a client due to them thinking I am too small. I will keep that in mind though and think about it.

Thanks all for the continued help on this.

EDIT: I also had my english major friend look over it and she knitpicked a dozen things on it for me.

Last edited:
...EDIT: I also had my English-major friend look it over it and she knitpicked a dozen things on it for me.
Good for her! Have her look over your every post, or at least every piece of business correspondence you send. Since I'm curious/nosy, ask her "What do you do with a B.A. in English?" Sounds like it should be a song!

Good for her! Have her look over your every post, or at least every piece of business correspondence you send. Since I'm curious/nosy, ask her "What do you do with a B.A. in English?" Sounds like it should be a song!
While I am horrible with girls, even I know that is a bad question to ask!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back