Pin Spots

Robert F Jarvis

We want to bring up 6 faces in turn. Estimate 20' from bar to face. Needs to be tight - about 18" - 2' . DMX controlled. Prefer color but white in a pinch. Recomendations?

We want to bring up 6 faces in turn. Estimate 20' from bar to face. Needs to be tight - about 18" - 2' . DMX controlled. Prefer color but white in a pinch. Recomendations?
I just did similar with 2 cheap Chinese movers to introduce the Board of governors in Jeckyl. Threw cross stage because I wanted wider Did a preset on one after the other and only needed to see one at a time. But fixtures were in the 100 buck range and very bright

Can you remember what they were? We have some inexpensive Chinese movers : Ridgyards. Fantastic bang for the buck but they only go down to a 4' unfocussed spot.

Can you remember what they were? We have some inexpensive Chinese movers : Ridgyards. Fantastic bang for the buck but they only go down to a 4' unfocussed spot.
I am away right now...ours are very focused though, and I just bought 2 more similar that are not hung yet One of our other lighting committee made a profile for the ion, and fortunately it works on my newest which came with no documentation at all. The new ones are very bright and focused as well Dont know actual beam angle but fairly tight. Link to the new pair, I bought the 90 watt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088KDJ7WZ/?tag=controlbooth-20 Fixed focus only

I know these, we have three and I didnt think of them! They are also on market as Lixada and UKings. Wierd thing being although all are excactly the same manufactured hardware they reguire different profiles! I had to make one for the Lixada. I'm not sure how one transfers single EOS profiles but perhaps you could send me an empty show file with your profile patched. I think your are right. This is a good way to go. Thank you

I know these, we have three and I didnt think of them! They are also on market as Lixada and UKings. Wierd thing being although all are excactly the same manufactured hardware they reguire different profiles! I had to make one for the Lixada. I'm not sure how one transfers single EOS profiles but perhaps you could send me an empty show file with your profile patched. I think your are right. This is a good way to go. Thank you
I will extract the profile somehow.. My "new" movers have 2 modes, cant remember which I'm in, but will check that too. I love the first ones. Have used them in several shows as a stationery "follow spot" for short scenes instead of hanging several specials. Did the "search for the missing angel" in Best Christmas Pageant, then spotted her on her arrival. Hung from the FOH or the First electric they rival the brightness of our 20 year old follows by Robert Juliat from the back of the house and from the FOH cast a nice "actor size" circle. Iris would be nice, but we just play with the position and geometry, and accept the compromise.

Last edited:
That is great. I have not worked out how to transport single EOS profiles yet. But whatever you can do would be appreciated. Ive ordered a set to test these with the profile and will get more if things work out.

That makes sense. I just ordered two of tweigandt's inexpensive MHs to add to our Lixaga and UKIngs. So if he sends me a empty show file with his MH's profile patched I should 'merge'. No problem. Thanks.
Interesting side here: I'll soon have 3 little MH spots. But, I have to light, in turn, 6 "People's heads'! The pause in between is only music beat. I'm hoping if I use spots 1 then 2 then three and then 1, 2 3 again the MHs will have time to find their new positions in the 'Mark' period. If not I'll have to come up with some Preset scheme to move the MHs two or so cues in advacne to give it time. Hmm! Interesting.

They swing pretty fast, but if you don't want to see the light move, and just come up in place you will have to preset.

Our physical board doesn't have the key on it, but the virtual keyboard does. Select your mover... go to the ML control page tab to aim it, then take intensity down to zero. The virtual rollers and or the virtual trackpad will drive you nuts.. so do your final fine tuning by picking pan or tilt and use the real roller to tune in. Our profile doesn't enliven the encoders. Maybe some day.

Then the key is.."SELECT ACTIVE" have all lights already the way you want them except the aim, then record cue 23 or whatever.... or you can store it in a CLEAN totally new submaster (may have to delete your placeholder sub first if it contains ANYTHING, or you may screw up other colors) then go to your desired cue, bring up the sub and record. Then on the next cue all you have to do is bring up the intensity and leave the rest of the attributes alone.. 114@50 just like a conventional. And of course you play with the focus and up down timing to make it zero, so they will snap. Actors have to hit their mark of course. .. Mine were seated :)

Once you get used to the sequence the workflow is pretty simple.. but if you are new to movers like me, you will klutz it up a few times before you get it right.. Like not releasing your selection.. and the new submaster does???? I store it in a submaster first. with everything else dark.. still use "select active", or it will screw with all your other color attributes on your other LED fixtures.

And of course, you will need to aim with an actor or a surrogate.. those light fields on the floor will be waaayyy off on a tight beam depending on where you are throwing from.

File is attached here.. showfile called Chinese mover....... we are using china mover 10ch profile.. but I think my actual instrument is set to 9 or 12.. only seems to have 2 modes, but I seem to be able to access everything including strobe, gobos, colors etc.

Hope all that makes sense

Attachments

• Chinese mover 2022-09-19 16-41-19.esf
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
Ok great. The two new MHs just arrived. I'll merge your profile into my showfile and test things out. Our original Lixada 'official' profiles bore no resemblance to the actual units so I ended up creating my own. That is a bit hairy at first but I documented the whys and hows etc. and feel pretty confident I can work things out. I've also printed your 'aiming' notes to help me I aim them. Thanks for all the help.

The ones we just bought were the "XPCLEOYZ 2Pcs 90W LED Moving Head" recommended by jtweigandt. These also have a 4' diameter at some 30 feet.
But here is the strgane thing: jtweigandt noted no data in his box so they constructed their own profile. Our box had data but the modes did not relate to jtweigandt's (who kindly sent me a copy of their profile). Turns out these XPCs coincide exactly with our Lizada's. These and similar UKIng units are exactly same mechanically but different EPROMS/Profiles! However the XPCs are a heck of lot brighter than the Lixada and UKings.

Just got four of these to play around with in class. Currently in tech so I look forward to having some time to experiment next week.

The ones we just bought were the "XPCLEOYZ 2Pcs 90W LED Moving Head" recommended by jtweigandt. These also have a 4' diameter at some 30 feet.
But here is the strgane thing: jtweigandt noted no data in his box so they constructed their own profile. Our box had data but the modes did not relate to jtweigandt's (who kindly sent me a copy of their profile). Turns out these XPCs coincide exactly with our Lizada's. These and similar UKIng units are exactly same mechanically but different EPROMS/Profiles! However the XPCs are a heck of lot brighter than the Lixada and UKings.
Do you use a built in profile or did you have to make your own? I'm having a hard time getting these to do what I want. If you have a profile, I would love if you'd be willing to share!

So I got my second set of the 90 watt xpcleoyz movers... and guess what? they came with a nice pamphlet thank goodness detailing their 9 and 11 channel modes.. and they don't work with the same profile as my
other 90 watt same "brand" purchased just 6 months ago or so... :) Not a huge surprise.. but as of my quiet "no one in the theater to hear the cursing" session yesterday... I'm now an expert profile maker :)

The first set of 90's and their nearing 2 year old 60 watt sisters (6 lights total) are still going strong.

Another odd quirk of this new set is that one of the settings under SLND -- master/slave/dmx has to be set explicitly for dmx control to work.. most cheap fixtures I've used just say hello to dmx if present or default to whatever auto mode if not. So I'll have to be careful if anyone gets ham handed re addressing. But they are cheap enough that if they work for a couple years, we'll be happy... I will have an array of 6 going in a figure 8 randomly and a stepped strobe effect to make blue splashes on stage for "Singin in the Rain" to augment the projected animation behind. If I get real fancy, may coordinate with the choreographer and have Don do a splash splash splash splash to a musical stab and make those puddle jumps in white over some spike tape for the actor.

So I got my second set of the 90 watt xpcleoyz movers... and guess what? they came with a nice pamphlet thank goodness detailing their 9 and 11 channel modes.. and they don't work with the same profile as my
other 90 watt same "brand" purchased just 6 months ago or so... :) Not a huge surprise.. but as of my quiet "no one in the theater to hear the cursing" session yesterday... I'm now an expert profile maker :)

The first set of 90's and their nearing 2 year old 60 watt sisters (6 lights total) are still going strong.

Another odd quirk of this new set is that one of the settings under SLND -- master/slave/dmx has to be set explicitly for dmx control to work.. most cheap fixtures I've used just say hello to dmx if present or default to whatever auto mode if not. So I'll have to be careful if anyone gets ham handed re addressing. But they are cheap enough that if they work for a couple years, we'll be happy... I will have an array of 6 going in a figure 8 randomly and a stepped strobe effect to make blue splashes on stage for "Singin in the Rain" to augment the projected animation behind. If I get real fancy, may coordinate with the choreographer and have Don do a splash splash splash splash to a musical stab and make those puddle jumps in white over some spike tape for the actor.
Any chance you could share a show file with that profile? I haven't been able to get one to work.

Do you have a parameter list/booklet with the one? I could get closer that way.. Otherwise you just about would have to tease out the functions by addressing it, and then patching each dmx address as a single dimmer to tease out which function is which.
It's looking like my theater gremlin has hidden the manuals.... Remind me to set out traps...
That said, I got the same 90 watt xpcleoyz movers from this thread back in November and I remember them having a 9 and 11 channel mode. I futzed with them for a bit but then got too busy to figure them out.
I'll update if I can find the manual.

It's looking like my theater gremlin has hidden the manuals.... Remind me to set out traps...
That said, I got the same 90 watt xpcleoyz movers from this thread back in November and I remember them having a 9 and 11 channel mode. I futzed with them for a bit but then got too busy to figure them out.
I'll update if I can find the manual.
I should be at the theater tomorrow. I'll get you both profiles the one that works with the first set of xpcleoyz and the one that works with the second set Here's the dmx setup from the second set.. the SLND seems like it had to be explicitly set for dmx. I'm using 11 ch mode, but ignored some of the parameters (tilt and pan fine) till further play/futzing.. just using basic color gobo pan tilt and intensity in my newest made up profile.. you would have to be careful allocating addresses that way because the profile doesn't use the full 11 channel width, but the fixture is listening on those last channels. To avoid the theater Gremlins I am now putting a picture of the relevant pages into my OneNote notebook for safety in addition to our "magazine rack" of documents on the booth wall
IMG_7047.jpg
IMG_7048.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back