Pin Spotting for Flowers / Centerpieces Help

djstmp

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to pin spot centerpieces and floral pieces for weddings. I know you can use a fixture and do this, but I have heard of some people doing this using the existing fixture in a hotel ballroom and just replace the bulb with a different bulb that highlights the centerpieces etc.. Anyone have an idea how this is done?

Possibly you're thinking of a Swivelier "Screw-In Light Converters and Extenders":
proxy.php
proxy.php

Most hotel ballrooms frown on, however, an outsider replacing or altering their lighting system.

We've done this a lot for hotel ballroom dinners. We have a large supply of PAR 36 fixtures with a scissors clip on the yoke that locks onto the drop-tile ceiling tracks. Hanging one over each table, with the spot beamed lamp, usually yields an 18" circle of light on the table. Don't forget to watch the math on how much current you're ganging together via plug strips or cube taps.

The down side is the labor involved in stringing the extension cords over the ceiling tiles and the fact that the catering department will invariably start setting linen and silver on the tables while you're still knocking dirt down from above, plus they'll keep setting up chairs and tables in the areas you still need to get the manlift through.

The screw-in gizmo derekleffew showed looks interesting, but in addition to convincing the hotel staff to let you use them, you're also reducing the basic room lighting, and there might not be sufficient light for people to see to walk, let alone escape in an emergency. Plus, what's the odds that there will be enough ceiling lights in the right places to hit all the tables?

If lighting from above proves problematic, might you be able to but an LED pucklight UNDER the clear vase of the arrangement and uplight it? Just trying to think off the grid here . . .

Good ol' pinspots (4515 lamp in front and a transformer in the back) have been the standard for this in the event market for some time now. The fun part, as mentioned, is going to be getting them above the tables before the othe crews onsite start putting stuff below you on the tables.

If you're working in an area with a lower ceiling, you may need a slightly wider beam than the 4515 has to offer.

The other issue with pinspots is the angle. If you can't get them up in the ceiling directly over, it means somewhere on a boom, likely against a wall. And if the throw is more than 20' out from the wall, it may be impossible to get them high enough that the angle is acceptable.

And the extenders Derek mentioned are commonly called "Dazzlers" in the event industry.

...And the extenders Derek mentioned are commonly called "Dazzlers" in the event industry.
Never heard that--in Las Vegas, they're called "Swiveliers."

I hadn't heard of "dazzlers" before either. In Arizona, we called them Swiveliers (brand name) also.

We rarely would put an individual spot above each table when I was doing this type of event. Instead, we'd use a Par-bar arrangement with 4-6 units and place it between the tables (as equal of distance as possible). This minimized the problem of knocking stuff down on the tables as they are being set and allowed manuverability around the tables and chairs.

Don't forget the cake and gift tables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back