Pipe from I-Beams

LDSFX

Ok, so Im doing this huge event at the end of February in a high school gym. To cover up the white walls and school murals, I'm going to be renting large amounts of drapery from Rose Brand and hanging them on the walls. The only problem is, there is no where to hang the drapes from. The closest support is a matrix-type cross brace of i-beams. So I have found i-beam clamps available for rental, but there is no such device that is meant to attach pipe to I-beams. Ideally I would like some kind of I-beam clamp to cheeseborough, but to my knowledge no such device exists on the rental market. The budget is also not large enough to be able to get chain motors and hang truss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Nick

Depending on how heavy the curtains are you could fix the beam clamps with Eye bolts and use a length of 4/0 chain and a shackle.

We just did this exact thing in a YMCA gym for a fund raiser.

just trying to think outside the box here..... but.....

In examining my school's gym-acafa-torium i noticed holde in the actuall i beams that looked big enough to fit the bolt of a c-clamp through. if the shear strench of bolt is big enought and these hole exist in you space maybe you could rig something up.

also couldnt you just use cord died trough the gap in clamp? does the soft goods have gromits?

Depending upon the weight and if you have accss to get around the ibeam what about tie line?. I am not sure the school is going to want you drilling through the ibeams. or i've seen people just get alot of clamps and clamp the soft goods in place to beams like that. its not idea but should work ok.....so long as people do not try swining from them....

Having worked with RoseBrand for over 30 years I know their rental drapery stock is primarily velours which get very heavy.

I'm assuming Nick's idea is to install a 1.5" black steel pipe around the perimeter of the gym since the drapes come with tie lines on 1' centers. Usually main I beams are on 20' centers, if there are no other pick points even 1.5" steel pipe will deflect to some degree on such a span.

If the I beams are completely exposed you could simply wrap the 4/0 chain around the beam and use a shackle or even Qucik Link to create an endless loop to hold the pipe.

koncept said:
Depending upon the weight and if you have accss to get around the ibeam what about tie line?. I am not sure the school is going to want you drilling through the ibeams. or i've seen people just get alot of clamps and clamp the soft goods in place to beams like that. its not idea but should work ok.....so long as people do not try swining from them....

considering tieline isnt really made to hold such an enormous weight, i would say thats a fairly bad idea. plus, Ibeams arnt exactly round edged, so the slightest movement would drag the tieline against a corner, which over even just a few hours could break the tieline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back