Pivot points revolve jack knife wagons

Ech725

What type of pivot points have you done for revolves or jack knife wagons and how did you install them?

I've done sleeved pipes welded to angle iron, a top plate bolted to wagon and bottom plate lagged to floor with lots of grease.

I've heard of using pillow blocks and slewing rings. Someone once mentioned a vista pivot-not sure what that would entail.

It's been a long time for me but a piece of pipe and two speed rail flanges on several occasions. Worked for a limited use turn table one summer as well.

Seems like you're on it. Pillow blocks / bearings and steel shaft are more precise and more expensive than sleeved pipes. Not sure that a slewing ring would work in a corner pivot application, as they can be quite large. And very expensive.

Seems like you're on it. Pillow blocks / bearings and steel shaft are more precise and more expensive than sleeved pipes. Not sure that a slewing ring would work in a corner pivot application, as they can be quite large. And very expensive.

Yeah haven't used a block in this fashion. So with a pillow block or flange block, is it simply mount a flange block to a wagon and tighten set screws over pipe or shaft?

Last edited:
Kind of different if its a 4 x 8 jack knifing with a little scenery attached versus a 20 x 20 with lots of scenery and a cast. In either case, its probably more about the shearing forces on the pivot than the friction or lack there of in the actual pivot. The pipe and speed rail worked find of a light to medium 20' turntable over an entire summer season of 80 or so performances run by a hand winch (drum of 2 x 4 s and plywood on a pipe axle with speed rail bushings - a kind of a theme that summer 40+ years ago). The floor attachment and keeping the length of the axle to a minimum are key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back