Planning the Design of a New Theatre

Mark Warner

Hey guys, so I recently took a position as the Technical Director at a small non for profit theatre under pretty unique circumstances. A year ago a fire destroyed our whole theatre, where nothing was salvageable. We are currently operating in a temporary space, but over the next year part of my job will be helping the architecture firm plan out the design of the new building to be built. This is of course the first time that I've been a part of a process like this, (which is part of the reason why I took the job, for the experience) so I'm in need of as many resources I can find to help me make these decisions. The only resource that I currently know about that might help is the recording of the USITT Architecture Commission discussions from 2015. So if anyone knows of any books, or other resources that may help me in designing a new space would be greatly appreciated. I would also love any advice, if you have been through a process like this before, or just in general anything that you think could help me be more informed throughout this process. Thanks

Selection of a consultant is a critical factor. Beyond that I would say don't be the consultant. S/He gets dmx issues, rigging heights and the rest of the tech, or you have the wrong person.

You should concentrate on what makes your group different. Production types & schedules, staffing or whatever it is. Your consultant knows how a typical theater works. But there is no single 'best' design. Help them make the toss-up decisions in favor of what works for that group.

Knowing what you need and want is one thing, and you may be fine knowing that. Getting it incorporated into a design and construction project is a whole other issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back