Platform storage

mrb604

We will be moving into a new space for set storage this summer and I am looking for storage ideas. How do you store your stock (mostly 4x8) platforms? Flat or on their side and if on their side do you store them laying on short or long side?
Thanks,

We will be moving into a new space for set storage this summer and I am looking for storage ideas. How do you store your stock (mostly 4x8) platforms? Flat or on their side and if on their side do you store them laying on short or long side?
Thanks,
@mrb604 I recall this being beaten to death within the past year and a half here on the Control Booth forum; possibly using our search function will call up the threads. If you're building your stock platforms as 4' x 8' x anywhere from 6" to 6' tall you've an appreciably bigger problem on your hands than if you're building either old-style "platforms & parallels" (where the lids are all single sheets of 3/4" ply with only 1/4 or 3/8" thick corner blocks glued and screwed on the undersides of their four corners and their supporting sides, ends and centre frames are hinged with 2" back flap hinges screwed and bolted into T-nuts and collapse diagonally) OR today's newer, trendier, platforms supported by a collection of 1.5" schedule 40 iron pipes of a variety of lengths detached from the undersides of their lids by either threaded four bolt flanges or via unthreaded Kee Klamp (brand name) flanges secured with an Allen key. These later two methods are costlier and more time consuming to construct but store in MUCH less space and, if built properly with really GOOD materials, are capable of being used in a respectfully busy road house for some 45 years and counting with periodic repainting. More than enough said; try the search function and there'll likely be a few more posters along if there haven't already been others posting while I've been typing.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

My best advice is don’t keep more than you need/regularly use, and do your best to junk the odd and custom shapes.

I like to store 2x4 framed 4x8s on their short ends, but you’ll need to build some storage bays to hold them.

If storing them flat, put some nice heavy duty casters on the bottom platform. You’ll thank yourself later when you need to quickly move the stack.

If you're talking 'standard' 4x8 with 2x or 1x framing the best way to store them is flat, stack them on top of each other as high as possible. If you use a forkflit then every fourth platform add a couple spacers and turn a platform upside down, that way you can run your forks in to un-stack and have a flat surface for the forks. Whether you stand them on end or side you run the risk of having them tip and fall. If they're stored flat they are much less likely to tip.

Ron, I have searched , but not found much specific to platform storage. While I might choose to build differently in the future, right now I am just trying to find the best way to store what I currently have.
Gafftapegreenia , I like the idea of storing platforms on their short ends, especially since our new storage space is small but has a very high ceiling. Having said that, Van’s suggestion to store flat might be easier.
Does anyone have pics of storage bays they made to hold platforms. Has anyone created vertical storage? I am considering a rack to hold platforms with another rack for flats on top.

Ron, I have searched , but not found much specific to platform storage. While I might choose to build differently in the future, right now I am just trying to find the best way to store what I currently have.
Gafftapegreenia , I like the idea of storing platforms on their short ends, especially since our new storage space is small but has a very high ceiling. Having said that, Van’s suggestion to store flat might be easier.
Does anyone have pics of storage bays they made to hold platforms. Has anyone created vertical storage? I am considering a rack to hold platforms with another rack for flats on top.
@mrb604 A local amateur group formed in 1953 and built their initial stock of platforms the way most amateur groups of the era were doing, varying only by purchasing the best quality materials they could afford then assembling them with glue, screws and more intermediate supporting cross-members than normally utilized; thus their initial stock were either 4' x 8' framed with 2" x 3" clear cedar, straight, true and securely glued and screwed with flat head wood screws neatly counter-sunk perfectly flush or 4' x 4' framed the same way with one additional 2" x 3" on the centre-line at 2' from one end. The main mover and shaker of the group chose to secure their platforms with a 'pin and wedge' system more commonly seen securing concrete forms for poured concrete construction; his goal was to make the platforms easy to mate securely using only a hammer, easy to dis-assemble with the same hammer and with minimal holes drilled in a minimal number of precisely located 5/8" accurately jig-drilled locations. Their original stock of platforms lasted for more than 3 decades. Initially they stored their platforms flat but over the years switched to storing them vertically with their 4' dimension on the floor and standing up, neatly clearing storage mezzanines built against both concrete block sidewalls at a height measuring approximately 8' 2" clear from their stage deck to the underside of their mezzanines' supporting structures. The mezzanines store larger set pieces / props such as tables, chairs, wardrobes, dressers, et al. The vertical supports for their mezzanines were spaced approximately every 32" centre to centre and provide solid / stable / secure bracing to lean their stock of nominally 4" thick platforms against on a slight angle. 4' x 8' platforms are intermingled with 4' x 4' platforms stacked two high vertically in pairs between 4' x 8's for stability. As I stated previously, this method worked for them for more than three decades until newer, lazier, corner-cutting volunteers began building additional risers with cheaper materials, far less skill, care and precision.
Over the course of some 65 years their current builders assemble with wood screws, butch cordless drills, zero pilot holes, zero counter-sinks and rarely a trace of glue. To this day their original mezzanines are still in place, still solid and stable, still supported by their original supports and still supporting every platform they've accumulated including a few angled pieces. A similar arrangement of vertical frames were added across their U/S wall where flats are stored; the majority of their flats are 12' tall with a few 14' flats and flats built for two story sets typically 8'. Flats with windows, door frames and doors are also stored standing on edge across their U/S wall. I'm close to blind now and rarely out of my room in what our government terms a "retirement home with assisted living" thus don't expect me to provide any photos. The main mover and shaker is 88 and counting but essentially no longer involved as cancer is taking its toll.
Another area amateur group, the oldest in our area dating from some time in the late 1800's and currently producing their 144th season, store their platforms on their 8' edges in the large, but low ceilinged, basement below their 2 1/2 story 1800's former mansion and build, rehearse and perform in an adjacent annex added in the 1950's. Other than those two amateur groups, most of the other approximately 15 amateur groups within a ten mile radius pretend to have storage but in reality have nothing anywhere near as organized and convenient as the two groups described.
Our largest unionized space is still utilizing 'old-style' platforms and parallels precision built in house during the summer of 1973 in time for the September opening. The newer pro' venues in our area purchased professionally built platforms then supplied, cut, and labelled their own stocks of 1.5" schedule 40 cast iron pipe supporting legs, occasionally adding specialty lengths to satisfy the whims of various pro' and semi-pro' designers du jour.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

My best advice is don’t keep more than you need/regularly use, and do your best to junk the odd and custom shapes.

1000%. Just spent 3 hours organizing five shows worth of stuff that we just “had to keep”. We held on to a few standard platforms, couple of stair units, and a few other pieces. Tore apart a few more to salvage the lumber and filled a dumpster with the rest. It felt fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back