Please check out.....

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
Well, the obvious request is how about that just announced ETC Colorsource Cyc light. Sure is a cute little thing. Very cool looking.

We're supposed to be getting a visit...relatively soon. I hope they bring this.

Wouldn't those be the Source Four LED II and Desire D40/D60, respectively?
No, in the Colorsource line the par and spot fixtures come in two flavors. The original was for better pastels and whites. Then they added the deep blue version by using indigo instead of blue for the blue color. The soon to be released cyc unit has both the blue and indigo leds.

OK, what was the big surprise in Booth 915?

Rob commented as well on this thread

https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/new-etc-colorsource-cyc.42764/

No data from ETC as yet.

It does beg the question as to when would you use this unit vs. a Cyc Adapter.

Cyc Adapter does use the Lustre engine though and may be brighter.

Just talked with Jim Uphoff at ETC. This is a 5 LED engine the Lustre is 7 LED's and a little brighter. In most situations on a white cyc, you aren't going to miss the two colors. This new product is smaller and cheaper. So you would choose Lustre with a cyc adapter for taller cycs, cycs that are not white, and probably for top row only. My impression, if you can do top and bottom and the cyc isn't super tall, the new fixtures are probably the best choice. With two to one spacing between fixtures they are bright, blend smooth, and very nice. My only concern is that I don't think they are enough to handle top only on a 20' cyc. IMG_20171118_150326.jpg IMG_20171118_150214.jpg

Double-barrel followspot ???

I thought I'd seen a lot, but never anything like this.
LDIspots.jpg
Is it so that one operator can follow two performers onstage? @gafftaper et al, please get us the 411 on this. Picture is from a Facebook post. And please tell Richard the Broadway font on this signs identifying the lights is very hard to read in photos. Does the dual one say "Dion"?

That’s gotta be the Lycian booth. I had heard Rick was bringing all or some of his collection of vintage gear.

That’s gotta be the Lycian booth. I had heard Rick was bringing all or some of his collection of vintage gear.
@JohnD @SteveB I was most impressed watching spot op's at The Met standing between two lights and following two soloists simultaneously. I was a little less impressed when I realized following opera singers is nothing like following ballerinas or break / brake dancers.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@RonHebbard In the realm of mashups, to go with Neil Mccoys rap version of the Beverly Hillbilly theme I think there could be something like "The Achy Breaky Brokedance". Now as for on target, I do believe that's a glorious Kliegl Dynabeam over on the far left. I love those. :D

Very curious in this, as we have a roughly 23' tall cyc. We're looking at a potential LED conversion and are debating between ColorSource Spots w/ Cyc Adapter vs. ColorSource Cyc units. We'd do a top and bottom row regardless and are 4' off the cyc from our hang position. Thoughts on saving $300 with the dedicated Cyc fixtures vs. CS Spots w/ adapter?

We're hoping to get a demo of the units to see firsthand obviously but curious minds want to know.

Very curious in this, as we have a roughly 23' tall cyc. We're looking at a potential LED conversion and are debating between ColorSource Spots w/ Cyc Adapter vs. ColorSource Cyc units. We'd do a top and bottom row regardless and are 4' off the cyc from our hang position. Thoughts on saving $300 with the dedicated Cyc fixtures vs. CS Spots w/ adapter?

We're hoping to get a demo of the units to see firsthand obviously but curious minds want to know.

If you can and are going top and bottom, I'd think the cyc over profile is better and more savings. First - two blues in cyc - so better range of colors. Second, I'd be much more comfortable spreading the cycs further apart than the profiles with cyc adapters. I like 1:1 with cyc adapter even if further is acceptable by the app; and cyc is fine pushing towards 1.4:1 IMHO.

I'm at a demo session tomorrow so will look again.

I shot a demo video of the new color source cyc with Jim Uphoff and he talks about the difference in it vs the Cyc adapter...

I mailed the camera and files back to @dvsDave and he should receive it tomorrow.... Hopefully he can get it edited and up soon.

I also shot video of every spot in the Lycian booth and sat down for a nice chat with Richard. I think I got something really nice and can't wait to see what happens when it's edited.

And @derekleffew the double barrel "Dion" was created at a time when incandescent lamps were quite poor. So their solution was to put 2 - one thousand watt lamps in side by side and aim them together.

Just a follow up. Was demoeing CS cyc along with Series 2 and CS spot with adapters and the CS cyc and Series 2 are equivalent color in the blues. The adapter seems to stretch a little further vertically. My eye put the single row vertical coverage of the adapter around 18-20 feet before it looked like it was falling off; CS cyc around 14-15'. That's my eye and without other lighting - a silhouette cue. The CS cyc is especially good at the horizontal spread and evenness compared to adapters. On a 50' cyc, might be 7 units versus 10 with adapters if you have 5'.

Looked at CS and series 2 against S4 (575 long life) and S4WRD. I have to say the S4WRD is a pretty nice white. I will have to think about that S4WRD par for orchestra shell lights and perhaps houselights. Very flattering light with very good dimming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back