Please help- etc r.f.u. "waiting for communiction"

i am a part of a theater group in so cal and we recently upgraded to the etc express with the rfu feature jacks through out our theater but a few days ago when pluging the rfu into one of the remote jacks the screen read the usual while initalizing but after start up all it reads now is "waiting for communication" we have tryed restoring the system to defaults, dis-enabeling the unit from the control panel, pluging it directly into the rear of the board and nothing works.....any ideas ?( its the black rfu partnumber 4031a1003 and there is a green flashing led on the bottom of the unit)

Thank You AJL

Have you tried using it anyway? Our RFU will display "waiting for communication" until you bring up a dimmer or channel on the keypad. After that, the display will read something along the lines of H{!?*^#@^&#(*)G#B?<BIX&#&@(*@(^$*(@ yeah, its a little buggered. But it still does what we need it to. Perhaps yours has the same problem as ours and is still useable, so long as you don't need to LCD display.

i am a part of a theater group in so cal and we recently upgraded to the etc express with the rfu feature jacks through out our theater but a few days ago when pluging the rfu into one of the remote jacks the screen read the usual while initalizing but after start up all it reads now is "waiting for communication" we have tryed restoring the system to defaults, dis-enabeling the unit from the control panel, pluging it directly into the rear of the board and nothing works.....any ideas ?( its the black rfu partnumber 4031a1003 and there is a green flashing led on the bottom of the unit)

Thank You AJL

I think your only real option is to get a wireless RFU. :twisted:

I probably have the same RFU as you, it gives me trouble some days. Normally just turning it off and unplugging/plugging it back it will fix it.

Remember to always switch it off before unplugging it.

Welcome to the Booth!

ETC is known for having the best customer service in the industry.
Call them 24/7 at 1.800.688.4116 they will help you.

Re: Please help- etc r.f.u. "waiting for communication"

You have had some great advice so far. I am moving the thread to the Lighting Forum, so it is posted in the correct place. Not all members regularly read the New Member Board. Welcome to CB!

~Dave

Re: Please help- etc r.f.u. "waiting for communication"

Call the factory. They will help you diagnose your problem and tell you what it will take to repair it if it comes to that.

Could be a couple of things. If the RFU works when plugged into the board but not in a remote port, there could be a broken wire somewhere in the installation.
More likely, however, is that the RFU is the incorrect model for the console. (i.e. an expression RFU wont work with an express, depending on the software version). If you are running an express console (48/96, 125, 250) then the RFU should say "express" on the tag on the reverse side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back