Please help: Show Baby issues

Joshualangman

Hi all,

Our Show Baby randomly stops transmitting during shows. Unplugging and replugging the DMX cable from the Ion seems to "wake it up" and it's fine for a while, then cuts out again. We have never had issues with it before. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh

Check your power supply for the Showbaby/ and swap it with a known good one. I have a bunch and when we've had 1 "go bad" giving it a new PSU made it work. they are a pretty standard 12v power supplies with less then a 200mA draw if I recall. But as long as the power supply you are swapping in is 12v compatible (or what ever it is for the showbaby) and is at what ever the mA rating is or greater you're set. I have a bin of PSU bricks that keep for just such occasions.

What’s else is going on wireless in your facility.

You could be experiencing some interference.

If that is the case I would change whatever channel your router if you can to the opposite end of the showbaby. So to like 1 from 11.

Hopefully you don’t have a bunch of APs or an IT dept not willing to help you out.

Thank you both. I don't have spare power supplies, but I will try swapping the supply on the transmitter with that on one of the receivers and see if it makes a difference. Maybe I can get a new PSU from somewhere.

I don't have any control over wireless internet etc in the venue, but that has never presented a problem for us before. So the power supply hypothesis seems the most likely.

Thanks.

They could of done something without you knowing. So I wouldn’t rule it out completely. I would at least make a call/email to IT and ask better safe than sorry.

UPDATE: I swapped out the power supply on the transmitter and it is still "going to sleep" randomly and stopping transmission. I am going to try swapping the transmitter unit with one of the receivers and see if it makes a difference, but I don't have any spare units or PSUs. I know I'm on completely different frequencies from mics, but I don't have access to anyone who might know anything about WiFi etc.

Thanks,

Josh

Damn that sucks.

Well a good way to test is take the show baby’s outside away from the facility and run it. If the signal stays strong you got a wireless issue. If not then a power issue or just a bad/failing TX unit.

Get on the horn and start hitting up rental shops for another set of show baby’s to test and or use til you buy another set.

Thanks again. I swapped the transmitter with one of the receivers and didn't see any further issues today. So … I guess maybe it's solved?

Thanks again. I swapped the transmitter with one of the receivers and didn't see any further issues today. So … I guess maybe it's solved?

Josh,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are experiencing. Can you please check your firmware versions for me? This is accessible via RDM, or you can tell me the startup pattern the signal LEDs do when powered on. You will either see a single flash and then power, or a series of flashes. I would like to know if all of the units are running the same version. Please feel free to call the City Theatrical main number and I will help in any way I can.

Also, for reference, the SHoW Baby can use any voltage from 7.5VDC to 30VDC. The connector is a standard 2.1x5.5 barrel.

David O Smith
Lighting Engineer
City Theatrical, Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back