Plexus Software Controller

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
I've uploaded the Show Control Video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is the Cue Recording Video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

[user]jchenault[/user] is the co-creator of the Plexus software and is a long-time CB member. If you like what you see and want to try it out, please PM [user]jchenault[/user] and if he's in a good mood, he might give you access to the beta software :) .

Last edited:
Very cool!

When is Siri style integration going to be released? I'm assuming that'll come as a future update... ;)

Most importantly I want to point out that JChenault doesn't actually live with Gafftaper. He in fact lives several miles away from me.

Hey John, really nice work. I'm reminded of when I first saw the Horizon software demoed years ago. Your approach is just so much more logical and natural to how human beings think. This is one of the reasons I've been a big fan of the Strand Palette's because the Horizon software works the way I think. It looks to me like you guys have taken Horizon a to the next level of logical operation.

I love the magic sheet approach to design. It just makes sense. Why should we always have to think in terms of numbers? Over the last few years I have re-patched my shows so that it organizes my screen by stage areas/colors. It makes it much easier to program, but it's far to complicated to setup. Working with software based on that approach would be fantastic.

My biggest concern is the lack of handles. I don't mind working on a keyboard and mouse to record a show, but there are times that you've just got to have physical submasters. Do you have any plans for an optional playback wing?

From a training standpoint, that looks like it would very easy to introduce to someone, perhaps easier than a 2-scene board.

Put that thing on a touch screen with some bigger menus and think you would be set!

Thanks all for your kind comments. We are ironing out a few last bugs and expect that it will be available on the GAM website around the 15th of this month.

To ZMB - Actually you can scale the display, and we do have a club that runs it with a touch screen.

To Gafftaper - The handle discussion is an important one to have, and one we are still struggling with. There are things that you can do with a virtual fader that you can't do with a physical one ( Like show the fact that the fader is controlling two fixtures at different levels). There are things you can do with physical faders you can't do with virtual ones ( like easily manipulate multiple faders at once).

One thing we are trying to do is to figure out better paradigms for controlling lights. In order to do that we need to try stuff ( for example, would use a Kinect device be better than a set of physical sliders - don't know but we would like to find out).

This issue of 'How to think about control' is fascinating to me. DvsDave wants me to start a collaborative article on the subject and I would like to once we get this thing out the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about incorporating a multi-touch tablet screen? I wonder if you could create an app and then plug the tablet into the computer either via USB or wifi. It would also be really cool to use as a wifi tablet remote... and of course a smartphone remote focus app would rock too. It wouldn't be handles, but a multi-touch screen down on your desk or in your lap would be way better than click and drag with a mouse.

What about incorporating a multi-touch tablet screen? I wonder if you could create an app and then plug the tablet into the computer either via USB or wifi. It would also be really cool to use as a wifi tablet remote... and of course a smartphone remote focus app would rock too. It wouldn't be handles, but a multi-touch screen down on your desk or in your lap would be way better than click and drag with a mouse.

YES! After trying this for a Strand board I use I think it should be a mandatory feature for every control system.

Well, this thread is a few months old now and Gam Plexus has been out on the market for a few months too.

Anyone try it out yet? Any real world feedback?

Website makes it look awesome, would love to hear more about it!

Send CB member jchenault any questions you have. John's a great guy and the co-creator of the software. I don't know of anyone around here who is actively using it yet although several have seen older versions of the software before Gam was involved. It's pretty sweet and should definitely be considered as an alternative to MagicQ.

I was excited until I saw I needed windows. I suppose us Mac users will never win unfortunately. Can always use boot camp just a pain. Although I suppose coding the software for windows and Mac would be a bigger pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back