Plot Scale Numbering Question

erosing

The Royal Renaissance Man
Premium Member
I feel like I should know this, but this is the first time I've seen it outside of Shelley's books. What exactly does the 10/6, 13/6, 16/6, etc signify? I know the diamonds are at foot markers, in this case every 3 feet. But I can't make sense of the 10/6 etc. I get that it's on 18" centers but the numbering doesn't make sense to me. Why does 1/6 fall on the first increment of 18, but 4/6 falls on the third? Why is it in 6ths?

Capture.PNG

My guess would be 10' 6", 13' 6", etc. which would be 18" along and halfway between the diamond markers.

I neither like it, nor approve. 10/6 is a sloppy method of denoting 10-6, or more accurately 10'-6".
Further,
1) not every unit hangs on 18" centers, and
2) just as many electrics are hung with units splitting center: 9", 2'-3", 3'-9", 5'-3",... .
3) I've always just marked the scale: ...4'R, 2'R, CL, 2'L, 4'L, 6'L...

Not getting why 10/6 is a no-no but 10-6 is OK.

Neither is the correct version of a measurement, so to be fair neither is acceptable and we should all use 10'-6"

Shelly's VW symbol set has other scale types, but I don't think the R or L designations is one of them.

Trouble is that using 10'-6" gets really time consuming to have to type, even cut and paste doesn't help, as well until this OP I've never had anybody not understand 10/6, maybe as my folks see it all the time, so an east coast thing maybe ?

I do use this scale as a general reference, but also have my Vectorworks/Lightwright data interchange set up so LW dumps the distance L or R of C/L on a hang card/sheet, so the electrician gets a note at each unit of "10'-9" as required.

Hey Steve, that sounds intriguing. How do you have your VW/LW setup that it shows L/R of Ctr. That would totally help in a couple of cases I have to deal with. I tried figuring it out in LW and I am going to assume that you would use Focus L/R field but I couldn't see how it would read that and/or print it out.

You don't even need to deal with it as a VW/LW exchange as the VW file always has a field for X value.

On my hang sheet, I created a label legend that shows X value. I use that legend for the fixtures, not needing channel or color in this instance (which I turn off in classes)
Hang Sheet.JPG
Label Legend.JPG
. X location is one of the fields you can select to add to a LL. Then just position as needed.

This is also a field that can be imported/exported to LW so if you choose to do some position editing, it's easier in LW then in VW, in my experience.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks all! Not my favorite method, but it works I guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back