The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Plots and Hots

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Radman, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

Hey y'all! I am a freshman in high school and self proclaimed TechDir there. I also work at The Duluth Playhouse as a lighting intern and a PEP (traveling show) Techie.
    I have two questions:

-Firstly, I am looking for a demo, or better yet, free program for doing basic paperwork like schedule hookups and inventory, etc. I also want it to be able to do 2d plots. I dont really need 3d, I am just looking to be able to print light plots.

-And secondly, I am looking at maybe swapping my baby zooms fo some newer lights. I have ruled out Shakes, it is just way too hot. I am now leaning away from SL's, I hear they are flimsy. I was just wondering if the Source 4's heat up fast and especially if the yoke gets hot, because I burned my arm on the yoke of a shakes my first time and I don't want that to be the case. I would be purchasing them at my school.

Please help!

2. JasonC77

JasonC77 Member

Source 4's are typically standard these days. great optics, good color temp, hight quality build.

Personally, I would not decide which light you get based on how hot it gets... unless, that is, you are using it as a followspot. If a light gets too hot during a focus call, get some gloves and wear long sleeves. Remember... we buy lights for what they look like on stage... when it comes down to it, the electricians comfort is a distant second or third on the priority list.

3. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

Good point. I suppose that is a better thing to think about. I will look into that, though I am still interested in the heat of the Source 4, especially how fast. I usually work in 3 hr timeframes, and nobody else really helps me, so I am usually stuck focusing by myself. We don't have a remote or anything, though if I can find a clear table I will bring the Acclaim onto the stage. I completely forgot about the gloves option, I may just sneak those into my next shows purchase order.

Thanks for that slap back into reality!

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Active Member

LightWright is pretty much the standard for paperwork; the demo is only restricted to 75 instruments per file, so if you have less than that or can deal with multiple files per show then it will be fine. I don't think it can do 2D plots though.

Source Fours are just awesome. Nuff said :)

5. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

TY I'll look into that.

6. JasonC77

JasonC77 Member

Eh, not a slap... just a gentle prod. I understand you though... i have yet to drop the cash for a nice pair of mechanics gloves so that i can actually have enough dextarity when gloved to work without fumbling things. I just recently brought my own self back into reality by torching myself on a 1kw 360Q 6x22 that had only been on for a few minutes. brought out those bulky leather gloves *really* fast after that.

7. dust4sound

dust4sound Member

try Microlux Light For Windows
    www.luxart.com