Plots and Hots

Radman

Hey y'all! I am a freshman in high school and self proclaimed TechDir there. I also work at The Duluth Playhouse as a lighting intern and a PEP (traveling show) Techie.
I have two questions:

-Firstly, I am looking for a demo, or better yet, free program for doing basic paperwork like schedule hookups and inventory, etc. I also want it to be able to do 2d plots. I dont really need 3d, I am just looking to be able to print light plots.

-And secondly, I am looking at maybe swapping my baby zooms fo some newer lights. I have ruled out Shakes, it is just way too hot. I am now leaning away from SL's, I hear they are flimsy. I was just wondering if the Source 4's heat up fast and especially if the yoke gets hot, because I burned my arm on the yoke of a shakes my first time and I don't want that to be the case. I would be purchasing them at my school.

Please help!

Source 4's are typically standard these days. great optics, good color temp, hight quality build.

Personally, I would not decide which light you get based on how hot it gets... unless, that is, you are using it as a followspot. If a light gets too hot during a focus call, get some gloves and wear long sleeves. Remember... we buy lights for what they look like on stage... when it comes down to it, the electricians comfort is a distant second or third on the priority list.

Good point. I suppose that is a better thing to think about. I will look into that, though I am still interested in the heat of the Source 4, especially how fast. I usually work in 3 hr timeframes, and nobody else really helps me, so I am usually stuck focusing by myself. We don't have a remote or anything, though if I can find a clear table I will bring the Acclaim onto the stage. I completely forgot about the gloves option, I may just sneak those into my next shows purchase order.

Thanks for that slap back into reality!

LightWright is pretty much the standard for paperwork; the demo is only restricted to 75 instruments per file, so if you have less than that or can deal with multiple files per show then it will be fine. I don't think it can do 2D plots though.

Source Fours are just awesome. Nuff said :)

TY I'll look into that.

Radman said:
Good point. I suppose that is a better thing to think about. I will look into that, though I am still interested in the heat of the Source 4, especially how fast. I usually work in 3 hr timeframes, and nobody else really helps me, so I am usually stuck focusing by myself. We don't have a remote or anything, though if I can find a clear table I will bring the Acclaim onto the stage. I completely forgot about the gloves option, I may just sneak those into my next shows purchase order.

Thanks for that slap back into reality!

Eh, not a slap... just a gentle prod. I understand you though... i have yet to drop the cash for a nice pair of mechanics gloves so that i can actually have enough dextarity when gloved to work without fumbling things. I just recently brought my own self back into reality by torching myself on a 1kw 360Q 6x22 that had only been on for a few minutes. brought out those bulky leather gloves *really* fast after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back