Plumbers Tape argument

propmonkey

I generally think of Plumber's Tape as Teflon Tape.

Re: Plumber's Tape

I sometimes make that association in my head as well, specially since I spend a lot of time doing water plumbing and Pnuematics, however, technically that if reffered to as Thread Tape, Thread seal, or pipe tape.

In an attempt to keep this ugly and controversial argument out of the glossary, I've moved it here.

And the galvanized, holey tape existed and was thus named long before Teflon and thread seal tape was invented.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thank you Derek. You are, of course, Right to move this to a new thread. As you know these kinds of discussions can lead to some Very Sticky Situations! and just don't belong in the glossary, but I thought that was what the comments section was for.

i meant to just comment but the discussion was the first thing i saw.

maybe just include a link to a new glossy term for teflon/thread tape.

I tend to think of Teflon tape (other than the high temp electrical type of it) as pipe wrap tape and Plumbers tape as stuff you might hang a pipe from.

Just me of course and yes it is confusing. On the other hand, those in my ball park want a bat by my definition of it, they get a bat. They really want a ball but said bat, they either get and live with that bat or start calling it a ball by way of re-education on their part. Works wonders this standardization of terms. These my proper terms as normally the proper definition in me having to order and buy the stuff thus calling it what the suppliers call it as perhaps most proper, or subject to change if proved wrong but still as the buyer and supplier the official proper term for the product. Gripple, Grapple... big difference.

All started years ago when people were requesting ETC lamps. Yep they started getting ETC lamps and darned if they didn't fit into a Leko.

'Truss tape", do you mean a 3" width roll of jute or yellow caution tape so as to mark on it the distance between various fitures on the truss for pre-marking layout, or do you mean a taper measure taped to the truss so as to as the truss raises up level it to a certain distance from the deck? Still working on those requesting such a concpet.

Ah' the professional tech person... terms abound in requesting stuff at times in local slang. Been requested recently to be nice to the recruited free lance person fcrew chief from another company in asking for Mole Light ACL lamp spares. Heck no, they need to start speaking our language in becoming a pro, specific to what they want as a pro and that's how everyone learns how to request gear in if they want gear they had at best define suffiently what they want so as to get the proper gear. In the case of a Mole light, they are available in one, six and nine light versions we stock and are used on tours. This being Mole Richardson brand lighting fixtures if "Mole" in request.

Given like six or ten tours at any point in time out at any point, heck if I could remember what person has what specific gear but what I do know is that a Mole Richardson fixture as per "Mole" in what we stock of them won't in any way support a PAR 36' ACL lamp by way of type of lampholder or in-series distribution of the lamps properly. This was replied to as a "contridiction in terms" and needed firther spefic information on the request.

Could it be instead an "Audience Blinder" fixture such as a Thomas eight, four or two light fixture this person is attempting to re-lamp? This given a PAR 36 lamp, typically for us a #4596 is not persay a ACL lamp either but a sealed beam lamp instead. If the case in being confused about fixture or term, was he really meaning ACL or DWE in lamp type needed? Perhaps were ever he was from he called audience blinder fixtures ACL's too given they were seemingly Mole Lights.

Short memory of shows currently out at the time had one show having SBL lamps in use, many audience blinders and a few with Mole Light audience blinders in use. Which fixture was he using and after that, which if audience blinder configuration was he using low series or line voltage parallel?

As opposed to being nice' persay, I shortly got a reply back in asking for #4596 lamps and thats' what the the person requesting them got as opposed to FCX, DWE, or as in stock and possible up to 26 types of PAR 36 lamp in stock I could furnish, this much less in general as also stocked and in use is PAR 64 Mole Richardson and Bardwell & McAllister MAC Tech 12 Light fixtures using completely different lamps yet also in service.

Lessen learned in being specific now what length and breaking strength cable tie do you want amongst all sizes stocked. Not a truss pin for X section of a folding truss... I stock truss pins not specific to a part, is it say a 3/8" dia. by 3" pin with ring or somethign else in defining it by what it is? Need some cable to replace the whip on a Mac 2K... or a crimp for it... that's nice, what type of cable or crimp would you like to use? Parts is parts and in general I don't stock them as a unique say Martin crimp terminal as opposed to what say a Robie might use if the same.

Qualified tech person perhaps need to be handed the keys to the store room in "help yourself" or a McMaster Carr catalogue in figuring out what they want at times in asking for what they want as universal term as opposed to what they call it or what they think they want. Train early or work on refining, don't just settle for what's requested.... ask or if time in giving what might be wrong such as plumbers tape, they learn your term.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back