Pocket Console?

I, too would like to hear some comments about the pocketconsoles,

But I'm sure they can all, technically, control movers, but the special mover based ones just have more pages for more channels(I think), or they have preprogrammed patches for mover models.

They are great for testing gear. I used them in a shop to test leds, foggers, and hazer. Low channel counts but still needs a DMX controler. I am not sure I would ever run cues off of them but for something with 24 dimmers that can be set and forget (trade shows and the like) they would be perfect.

I use the DMX Dart at work, it does support moving light profiles and is good for basic testing. Unfortunately I don't believe pathway makes it anymore. It's great because unlike most others it has a full keypad to do channel entry/functions and it has a joystick nub (similar to a IBM laptop pointer) for moving light control.

The manual for the Dart is here if you're interested;

I've seen a demo of one at LDI and thought it was great. I'm hoping to get some money together to buy one, a shoe box dimmer, and half a dozen Inkys so I can set up a little light lab at the college. As has been said, they are great for testing and extremely simple applications (store window, small museum display, trade show booth, ball rooms) if you are running shoebox dimmers and you aren't changing cues a lot these are a great friend to go with you. I've even seen them used to demo LED lights in show booths at LDI. They seem fairly ruggedly built like you can, put it in a case, throw it in your gig bag and haul it with you without worrying about it. Plus they are kind enough to help sponsor CB... so they've got to be good people. As has been said I wouldn't want to actually run cues from one in show conditions.

I have a small lighting company with a Hog 1000, 24 ch Lep board and 2 of the basic pocket consoles. I find the things to be very usefull. I started off putting them on small shows (couple light trees and some uplights) and for parties and ended up taking them on shows to control house lights at venues that have a dmx port. My 11 year old son can "program" it with no problems so it shouldn't be a problem for anyone you send out. They both have seemed road durable although I bought some old used dove remote control cases for them so they don't get banged around much.

Hope that helps,

Jim

I have seen the Pocket Console® DMX Models : Baxter Controls, The Pocket Console DMX(tm) on sale for quite some time and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with it?

There are a few models and one of them (they say) can operate movers, thats the one I would most likely get, but I would love any personal info on any of the models.

Thanks

Hi. Rob Baxter here...We market The Pocket Console. Please feel free to call anytime with any questions. 512-858-5058.
I am also the Production Electrician for the NBA and New York City Ballet and use the Pocket Console on all their jobs as well as others. It proves itself indispensable. I just came off one of the Inaugural Balls and found it of use there, as well.
It is easy to use and fast to patch. While it does not equally replace any DMX devices that provide M/L libraries or true DMX analysis, I find it provides all you need in quick DMX 90% or more of the time for trouble shooting and anytime 8 channels will cover your basic control needs, you are good to go. Baxter Controls, The Pocket Console DMX(tm)

I have seen the Pocket Console® DMX Models : Baxter Controls, The Pocket Console DMX(tm) on sale for quite some time and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with it?

There are a few models and one of them (they say) can operate movers, thats the one I would most likely get, but I would love any personal info on any of the models.

Thanks

P.S.
The Multi-Page M/L software is not meant to "control" or program movers. It is meant for trouble shooting and teching lights and that is why most folks choose that software.

I've been meaning to buy one for a few weeks now. I use them all the time to "ring out" parts of the rig before they fly. Most of the time the foh snake isn't run (yet), so this little guy is great. Plug in, make em wiggle, and fly away. Done. However the website [dmx2go] has been down for sometime- odd. They can't make any money if servers crash!

Well, you could PM baxtercontrols, right here in CB.
Or call Rob Baxter at (512) 858-5058.
Or send a letter to Baxter Controls, POB 225, Driftwood, TX 78619.

Don't let the minor inconvenience of a website being down deprive you of your desires.:)

I've never used one but a saw that many of the booths at USITT had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back