Microphones Point Source Audio: Embrace

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Has anyone actually used a Point Source Audio: Embrace? I've tried one on at a show and really liked the feel and look of the fit. I'm thinking about buying one, but I'm naturally a little nervous about purchasing without hearing one.

I haven't used the Embrace line, but I have used the CO-8WD headsets. The big Pro of the Point Source stuff is that they have the same frequency response as a DPA 4000 series mic at a lower price point -- but I had issues with the CO-8WD's. I found that they sweat out a little more more than a DPA (which already sweats out a lot more than a Sennheiser MKE-1 or 2), and that they clipped much easier at higher SPL. The big failure point on the CO-8WD's was the "pill" behind the head where wires meet before traveling down to the beltpack, I imagine that because the Embrace series doesn't have that bit, that they'll be slightly more robust.

Point Source as a whole has mixed to mixed negative reviews out on the East Coast, I know the regionals have been moving to them because they are cost effective and sound exactly like a DPA (for those that say otherwise, run both through Smaart) but when things are a little more mission critical I prefer something just a little more reliable. All in all, I imagine you'll find the Embrace a pretty great mic for the price.

I haven't used the Embrace line, but I have used the CO-8WD headsets. The big Pro of the Point Source stuff is that they have the same frequency response as a DPA 4000 series mic at a lower price point -- but I had issues with the CO-8WD's. I found that they sweat out a little more more than a DPA (which already sweats out a lot more than a Sennheiser MKE-1 or 2), and that they clipped much easier at higher SPL. The big failure point on the CO-8WD's was the "pill" behind the head where wires meet before traveling down to the beltpack, I imagine that because the Embrace series doesn't have that bit, that they'll be slightly more robust.

Point Source as a whole has mixed to mixed negative reviews out on the East Coast, I know the regionals have been moving to them because they are cost effective and sound exactly like a DPA (for those that say otherwise, run both through Smaart) but when things are a little more mission critical I prefer something just a little more reliable. All in all, I imagine you'll find the Embrace a pretty great mic for the price.
Thanks! I've been using a Countryman E2 and just not happy with how it stays on (or in my case doesn't stay on). I really like the way that Embrace attaches comfortably but firmly to the ear. I'll definitely buy through a dealer that allows easy returns if I decide to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back