Portfolio Redacted Information

DHSLXOP

Hi Everyone,

I am working on updating my portfolio with some Stage & Production Management information. On your paperwork, what (if anything) do you redact for submission within the portfolio? Do you remove phone numbers? Names?

When you remove something, do you just put a greyed out box over it, or do you put a message inside such as "redacted phone number"?

I figure this is a fairly common thing, so I imagine that anywhere I submit my portfolio to would understand why it is marked like that.

Thanks for any input!

Yeah, as a general rule, I would say you shouldn't be giving out the personal information of people you've worked with unless necessary. This obviously isn't the same, but I did a show with a well-known young actor, and some intern on the show instagrammed a photo of some paperwork that had his personal cell number on it, which quickly promulgated all over the web. Needless to say, she won't ever find work in this timezone again.

I haven't done any type of portfolio since college, but what kinds of paperwork are you sending out - samples of contact sheets? Do people really hire a SM/PM based on the ease of reading a contact sheet? But that's off-topic. Just for simplicity's sake, I would probably just draw a big black box over the redacted information - I can do it in 10 seconds straight onto a PDF without having to go find the original word/excel file, and it preserves the formatting too. And yeah, there's no reason why people would care about the redacted information - if they're looking to see that you can make clear and usable paperwork, a quick glance will be more than sufficient, and I assume a PM would be happy to see that you care about the confidentiality of the people you work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back