portfolio?

3D

anyone have any suggestions on building a lighting design portfolio for college auditions?

its all about the process.... be able to back up every choice that you made.... also include other work then just lighting.... if you have any personaly made art put that in there... they are not going to be looking at how you lit shows in the past, they are going to look at how you are as an artist and how your process works....

Footer4321 said:
its all about the process.... be able to back up every choice that you made

This a big thing in all my design classes, after big project there is a talk back/interview where the prof. will ask you questions. Most of the time they are very detailed and seem like they are trying to belittle you when infact they want to make sure your reasoning is sound. Want to light the Dairy of Ann Frank in only green and purple fine but you better have a **** good reason for it.

also make sure you have a variety of pictures, in my portfolio I got a lot of comments from reviewers that they liked the range. Also a decently created plot made in cad or vector works makes things look better.

all i have are printed pictures from shows and my hand drawn plots and my channel lists i make in excel. should i include some of my photography?

propmonkey said:
all i have are printed pictures from shows and my hand drawn plots and my channel lists i make in excel. should i include some of my photography?

If the photography is more on the art side of things and not snapshots by all means yes.... anything that shows your artistic eye is a plus... also if you have any construction shots of any set pieces or costumes that you have built that is also a plus becasue most schools will have you working in a shop of some sort... just try to stay away from "i know how to hang a light" or "i can make a power point" type of stuff...

It's not for college, but I save everything I do in a file. Every 2 - 3 months I go back and pick out the 4 - 5 best projects I've worked on (in terms of the materials I have, not how the event went) and put those into a binder I show clients. I also have a visualizer of some past events, with a cuelist set up, then I have a video of that same event showing how the visualizer and the event actually looked together.

With digital video cameras, editing software, and dvd burners so cheap, it's economical to put together your own reel. Tape the shows, copy that to your computer, edit it with some cheap/free software, burn it to dvd. Tedious, but a necessary evil any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back