Portland, Denver, or Seattle? Thinking of moving out of NYC

Re: Seattle? How is the Industry?....relocating from NYC

While Seattle and Portland are great, I bet the cost of living in Denver is quite a bit lower. Housing is terrible here. A 75+ year old 2 bedroom house in a mediocre neighborhood in Seattle can run $350k (down from $450 before the crash). There is work here but as was said, it can be tough breaking through and getting connected.

No Doubt that Seattle is more expensive than Denver. The ironic part of working in this industry is that while its not the most lucrative career it requires you to be close to some of the most expensive cities in the world! So coming from NYC I've already swallowed that bitter pill. I'm more interested in the strength and quality of the industry. Seattle sounds like its adding up.

Seattle being hard to break into is concerning but as long as there is work to be had I'm ready to put in the work to open doors.

Burning question. Having come from Miami initially I found that the pay increase "as a freelancer" was around 30% Does anyone have any experience as to what I can expect coming from NYC to DEN, PDX or Seattle? I don't want to scare potential employees but I don't want to short myself either.

I realize this not an easy question to answer and I'm definitely not asking people what there rate is. % wise from and to I figure would be easier for someone to divulge.
It took me a long time to figure out the NYC range of pay and I'm hoping to speed that process for my next move.

TPS (Theater of Puget Sound) is the local hangout for all things theater and would be one of the first places for you to start connecting with the Seattle area. Sadly, it's been a long time since I've done anything outside of the educational world so I can't tell you what the going freelancer rate is.

Ill look into the TPS thanks. Thanks for everyone's input. I feel a bit more secure with the idea of leaving. NYC will always be there in case I hate it or go broke. Im giving myself a year to make the transition and my GF has to do a lot of prep of her own. Well I figure this is where the thread will end. Partly because I don't really know what else to ask but mainly because the crickets come out when you ask about rates lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back