Automated Fixtures POS Elation Design Spot 250s

Abuholzer

I have been using two Elation Design Spot 250s with an ETC express 250. My problem is they "freak out" every so often. When they freak out the lights move up or down stage (generally) flash the light then go back to their focus point. Has any one had a problem like this or know how to fix this.

I run the dmx to them Through a ETX DMX node- two port then change the 5 pin dmx to 3 pin dmx. I am using data cable not mic cable to run the 3 pin to the lights and I also have a dmx terminator in the last fixture in the chain.

I think these things are just crap but I am hopping there is some solution to this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated and i will keep you updated on the progress.

Crap or not they should not be doing that.

Problem in the DMX signal, logic board issue, etc.

Mike

I have been using two Elation Design Spot 250s with an ETC express 250. My problem is they "freak out" every so often. When they freak out the lights move up or down stage (generally) flash the light then go back to their focus point. Has any one had a problem like this or know how to fix this.

I think these things are just crap but I am hopping there is some solution to this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated and i will keep you updated on the progress.

My initial guess is that you have sent a fixture reset command from the console. I just looked at the DMX chart (available here) and there are several reset options available on channel 16. It is very easy, especially on an Express/ion to accidentally hit the right value on the right channel without realizing it.

Best,
John

If they are doing it at the same time, then what doctrjohn said was correct. Although they are "low-end" they are still a pretty good piece for the price.

I'm going to suggest checking to see if you're crossing a reset value as well. This could easily cause the fixtures to do what you are describing.

To expound on what others have said, on an Exress(ion), I prefer to Park the fixtures' Control Channel at a safe level, (sometimes this is not 00 or FL--look for "idle" DMX values). (If possible--Martin fixtures often have the strobe function on this channel so parking eliminates using strobe.)

I'd also suggest that there may be a DMX glitch. Some cold solder joint, bad cable, bad connection, etc, that causes the fixture to twitch momentarily then go back to its normal state. When the fixtures exhibit this behavior, how long does it last? Do they go through a complete reset cycle, or is it just for an instant, like they're having a brief "seizure", of sorts? This behavior can also throw garbage onto the DMX line and *could* cause other fixtures on the line to do the same thing, depending on where and what the fault is.

-Abby

If both are doing it at the same time, it's not the fixture, it's a data issue. What you described doesn't sound like a reset. If it were, the yoke would home everything and that would take a good 15 seconds. Sounds more like a data glitch to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back