Possible internship/ Summer job

Loren Marks

Hi, I'm a junior in high school and I am very interested in lighting. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding a job where I can work or be an intern at age 17? My interest in lighting is concerts or festivals, but anything would do regarding technical theater. Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to Control Booth Loren.

I don't know anything about what might be available in your area for your age, but when I was in highschool I had a year where I only had classes part time (due to some early college classes) and I spent my free time at the theatre. I designed or helped design almost every show for that year at one of my community theatres. Other than that I don't have very much advice.

However I do know that once you get into college that there are some great internship / summer stock opportunities out there. I won't pretend to know what they all are though. One thing that took me a long time to realise is that I was also interested in the technology that powered the art I loved being a part of. It hadn't occurred to me until someone pointed it out that someone out there actually makes all of that cool technology. There are some lighting manufacturers that offer internships in a variety of roles. If that's something you are interested in then don't count those opportunities out (although all of the ones that I know of require you to be a college student). It isn't for everyone though, so do whatever feels best.

On the design side of things I know that there are several big companies that it might be possible to intern with including Cirque du Soleil and Disney. I know a lot less about these kinds of opportunities though. I'll be interested in hearing what other people suggest.

I don't know what part of Wisconsin you are in, but I believe Majic Productions in Brookfield has a summer internship program for high school students. They are an AV rental company that sets up events all over this part of Wisconsin. At the bottom of the page I linked is a spot to contact them. If you are in the southeast part of the state, it might be worth your time. Other than that, get a hold of community theaters running shows over the summer. They are always looking for free help!

Not a problem. Let me know if you are interested in running tech for shows this summer. I know that Lake Country Playhouse will need run crew help, and my guess is that Theatre on Main in Oconomoc will be looking for help as well. There are a ton of community theaters in the area that are always looking for volunteer techs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back