Post-Covid ReOpening Guidance

Fully vaccinated sections in a venue with partial/no-vaccination seating? Anyone remember when there were "smoking sections"....on airplanes?
More half-harblankment efforts from a country too dumb to understand viruses don't care about all your "safer" measures. "Safer" compared to what?

Wondering people's individual takes on working in facilities as they begin to reopen...
I work in a high school and this week for the first time we have had about 500 kids on campus for four hours a day.

I'm fully vaccinated as is everyone in my family except my two teen kids. My kids have no health issues that make Covid potentially dangerous, so the odds are if they got Covid they wouldn't even know it. My oldest just got his first shot and the younger one is waiting for Pfizer to be approved for ages 12-15 (probably in the next week or two). My wife is a nurse and keeps me well informed on all of the most recent information. I know that if you aren't literally breathing the same air as someone who is infected it's pretty difficult to get Covid. So stay 6' away, stay in well ventilated rooms, and wear your mask. The recent CDC guidelines for touch surfaces have been relaxed significantly. They are saying the odds of caching it from touching a surface are around 1 in 10,000. The only real danger from touch being if someone got snot/spit on the door knob and you almost immediately touched it and then put it into your mouth/nose/eyes.

So I know all of these things and, the science says I'm very safe. But it's still really scary being in a building with hundreds of threat vectors for the first time. They are teens... I know they aren't all wearing masks and staying 6' apart once they leave campus. No way are they as good about following Covid Guidelines as their parents think. So, it's been a hard week and everyone on staff is on edge. If my parents, mother in law, and elderly aunt weren't vaccinated I would seriously be considering staying home. But everyone in my family who has a higher risk level is vaccinated. So, the science says it's okay. It definitely feels weird. But after a few days it REALLY feels good to be back doing normal work again. It's definitely going to be a while until I'm not nervous about it, but it's good.

More half-harblankment efforts from a country too dumb to understand viruses don't care about all your "safer" measures.
Your expert derivative use of Harblankment causes me great joy.

I work in a high school and this week for the first time we have had about 500 kids on campus for four hours a day.

I'm fully vaccinated as is everyone in my family except my two teen kids. My kids have no health issues that make Covid potentially dangerous, so the odds are if they got Covid they wouldn't even know it. My oldest just got his first shot and the younger one is waiting for Pfizer to be approved for ages 12-15 (probably in the next week or two). My wife is a nurse and keeps me well informed on all of the most recent information. I know that if you aren't literally breathing the same air as someone who is infected it's pretty difficult to get Covid. So stay 6' away, stay in well ventilated rooms, and wear your mask. The recent CDC guidelines for touch surfaces have been relaxed significantly. They are saying the odds of caching it from touching a surface are around 1 in 10,000. The only real danger from touch being if someone got snot/spit on the door knob and you almost immediately touched it and then put it into your mouth/nose/eyes.

So I know all of these things and, the science says I'm very safe. But it's still really scary being in a building with hundreds of threat vectors for the first time. They are teens... I know they aren't all wearing masks and staying 6' apart once they leave campus. No way are they as good about following Covid Guidelines as their parents think. So, it's been a hard week and everyone on staff is on edge. If my parents, mother in law, and elderly aunt weren't vaccinated I would seriously be considering staying home. But everyone in my family who has a higher risk level is vaccinated. So, the science says it's okay. It definitely feels weird. But after a few days it REALLY feels good to be back doing normal work again. It's definitely going to be a while until I'm not nervous about it, but it's good.

Your expert derivative use of Harblankment causes me great joy.
The child of one of my wife's co-workers, a middle school student,was exposed by someone else on his sports team. Nobody is surprised a surly 13 year old wouldn't wear a mask at sports practice. I am surprised nobody kicked him to the curb immediately, but hey, that's just me. I'm sure there's more to this than that but I don't have the details.

I'm glad we've got tickets for the employee soft opening of the Parks next week. The wife and childs are glad to have a thing to do, and I get to cast my jaundiced eye upon the "improved safety measures" for customers. Which I do know involves a lot more cleaning of hard surfaces, even those in direct sunlight. :neutral: That's part of the big PR campaign. I'm still pretty much in the dark on employee measures, so like you,@gafftaper, I'm gonna be a bit on edge.

On the other hand, after 3 weeks of in person instruction with 12 kindergarteners in her class, my wife's biggest worry is no longer her students, it's the poor decision making of the other adults on staff.

The child of one of my wife's co-workers, a middle school student,was exposed by someone else on his sports team. Nobody is surprised a surly 13 year old wouldn't wear a mask at sports practice. I am surprised nobody kicked him to the curb immediately, but hey, that's just me. I'm sure there's more to this than that but I don't have the details.

I'm glad we've got tickets for the employee soft opening of the Parks next week. The wife and childs are glad to have a thing to do, and I get to cast my jaundiced eye upon the "improved safety measures" for customers. Which I do know involves a lot more cleaning of hard surfaces, even those in direct sunlight. :neutral: That's part of the big PR campaign. I'm still pretty much in the dark on employee measures, so like you,@gafftaper, I'm gonna be a bit on edge.

On the other hand, after 3 weeks of in person instruction with 12 kindergarteners in her class, my wife's biggest worry is no longer her students, it's the poor decision making of the other adults on staff.
Just found out this afternoon our feeder middle school had two kids test positive. The school says they have had "close contact" (6 feet for more than 15 minutes) with 32 others. So here we go.

Its all such a scary thought.
Unfortunately my work has no transparency about who's tested positive and been at work. I know some of the parent's kids are at school and having "play dates" which I see pictures on instagram where none of the parents or kids are masked.
As my girlfriend says, we made it this far and now I'm the most afraid that I've been for the past year.

Last edited:
Its all such a scary thought.
Unfortunately my work has no transparency about who's tested positive and been at work. I know some of the parent's kids are at school and having "play dates" which I see pictures on instagram where none of the parents or kids are masked.
As my girlfriend says, we made it this far and now I'm the most afraid that I've been for the past year.

My concern - we are soooo "almost there". And traditionally that's when the American public (and many other nations) will absolutely p*uck this up. Politicians, reluctant to go back to April 2020, will do little and what measures are instituted will be roundly ignored by enough of the public to create a 4th wave of infections - at least on a regional basis.

I'm working as an IATSE hand this weekend on a bull riding event. Masks, tests, area access restrictions, temp checks, questionnaires... and "bubble management".

* the missing "h" is in honor of @RonHebbard

My concern - we are soooo "almost there". And traditionally that's when the American public (and many other nations) will absolutely p*uck this up. Politicians, reluctant to go back to April 2020, will do little and what measures are instituted will be roundly ignored by enough of the public to create a 4th wave of infections - at least on a regional basis.

I'm working as an IATSE hand this weekend on a bull riding event. Masks, tests, area access restrictions, temp checks, questionnaires... and "bubble management".

* the missing "h" is in honor of @RonHebbard
Good luck, man. Stay vigilant. A good friend has picked up a bunch of local 728 TV work, and they are not horsing around with the protocols. I hope the same for you.

Just found out this afternoon our feeder middle school had two kids test positive. The school says they have had "close contact" (6 feet for more than 15 minutes) with 32 others. So here we go.
What I've found is this is just, unfortunately, the way of life now. Currently, my HS has ~4,000 kids on campus, 8hrs a day. We average roughly 1-5 cases a day sending anywhere from 10 to 200 kiddos home every day for close contact. The protocols are good, masks are on, desks are wiped hourly, lunch is only 4 to a table. Unfortunately, the school just is not big enough to social distance; in fact, as I write this there is one guy to my left, right, and front, none further than 3 feet. However what we are seeing right now is that kids don't seem to be catching covid in school the problem is the parties, unmasked sports, and hooligans who just couldn't care less about a mask.

However, on the more covid friendly side, we just finished a run of our yearly dance show, 25% capacity, family only, sit with who you came with, temp at the door, reduced cast (half of the show filmed and played back on the video wall) and a SKELETON of a crew. Overall it went well. No covid cases only a broken foot, although dancers look really strange with a skin tone colored mask. We started calling them dancing frogs because of how they would puff in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back