Post-Covid ReOpening Guidance

Ben Stiegler

Last edited by a moderator:
GBAC -- a division of the ISSA -- has created a certification program for public venues in biorisk mitigation. More here: https://tinyurl.com/yaogldeu

I find it interesting that the GBAC website lands with a gif of someone not wearing a mask properly (somehow they got it on top of the goggles?), and not following proper disinfecting procedures (surface disinfectants have a minimum wet time in order to actually do their job). I realize that second part is just for visual effect, and I'm sure they probably have plenty of good things to say... but they're not exactly inspiring me to hand over a bunch of money to find out what that might be.

I'm always suspect of a private for profit company developing a certification program. Can they certify anything other than that someone has participated in a training session for their product? An how does their program mitigate the aerosol-cloud containing COVID-19 - seemingly the primary means of transmission?

@BillConnerFASTC, your intuition isn't far off. From a third-party website promoting this, "For those for interested partners looking to take their commitment to the next level, the GBAC STAR Accreditation ranges in cost from $500 to $15,000 based on your facility type and size."

I imagine some venues looking at this will do it primarily so they can say they did it in their PR, and to stave off liability risk in the future showing that even if there ultimately is an outbreak in their facility that they performed employee training and did some degree of due diligence. Doesn't change the fact that there's not much you can do for a bunch of musicians blowing air into trumpets near each other, parishoners singing packed in pews, and audience members who are sitting in low-circulation air near each other for 2-3 hours and entering/exiting through common choke points.

Stave off liability or hopefully reduce an award or settlement. I can see all the accountants and actuaries trying to determine which has less loss - opening and paying claims for people becoming sick or staying closed.

Wondering people's individual takes on working in facilities as they begin to reopen.
Personally I haven't been mixing at the usual church that I have been for over 5 years during the pandemic. Mostly because I didn't trust many of the others working (camera, musicians etc) from hearing about their stories of traveling and meeting with friends and family every week.

Now that I'm on the road to be vaccinated, I'm thinking of going back to mix because really, I miss it.
Even though I've been going into the office once a week, the idea of being in the same room with about 25 people in the audience and 10-15 people working and in the band, that will still be the most people I would have spent time with besides the grocery store.

I understand those who are working because they need the money but really wondering here about how people feel about going back to work at these indoor venues after being vaccinated? Personally, I haven't eaten out, seen any friends or family, inside or outside for the past year, so I know I'm on the conservative side of the scale here...
Thanks all :)

Wondering people's individual takes on working in facilities as they begin to reopen.
Personally I haven't been mixing at the usual church that I have been for over 5 years during the pandemic. Mostly because I didn't trust many of the others working (camera, musicians etc) from hearing about their stories of traveling and meeting with friends and family every week.

Now that I'm on the road to be vaccinated, I'm thinking of going back to mix because really, I miss it.
Even though I've been going into the office once a week, the idea of being in the same room with about 25 people in the audience and 10-15 people working and in the band, that will still be the most people I would have spent time with besides the grocery store.

I understand those who are working because they need the money but really wondering here about how people feel about going back to work at these indoor venues after being vaccinated? Personally, I haven't eaten out, seen any friends or family, inside or outside for the past year, so I know I'm on the conservative side of the scale here...
I'm supposed to get my 2nd shot this week.
My job is slowly recalling people to the entertainment division. I know what the State says, what OSHA says, what the CDC says and what the Event Safety Alliance says. I'm taking a class on my own dime to get that "live event/performance" COVID officer training. The more I can absorb now the better.
I don't know the specifics of my employers re-opening guidelines for employees or customers. I won't know until I am back on the clock.
My local's MOU for re-opening gives me the right to refuse the first call back and not lose my place in the seniority line on the next round of callbacks. How long the gap is between callbacks, nobody knows. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
My kids stayed online to finish the school year, while my wife was compelled to return to the classroom. At this point if I don't go back until July or later, I'm fine with that. I'm not stoked on leaving my 14 year old in charge of the 12 year old all day. It's got "Jay and Silent Bob" levels of responsibility written all over that scenario.
Overall, I see that national, state and local leaders continually (bleep) up the response- even a year in. I don't believe for a moment that corporations are sweating their legal or moral duties to get this right either.

I'm cool to wait this out another several months. But that IS just me. I don't think this applies to everyone, or anyone. Just my single minded view, thinking only of myself. Your results may vary. May the odds be ever in our favor (and I mean that sincerely).

I got my second shot 4 days ago. I've got IA hand work for a dirt event next week. The producer has set staggered load ins, zone-based access, PPE use requirements and daily rapid testing. Tour and producer have CCO, plus the IA will be monitoring. The venue/employer supervision is less clear at this point, but I feel more secure in the viral safety than I feel about working with rusty skills.

I got my second shot 4 days ago. I've got IA hand work for a dirt event next week. The producer has set staggered load ins, zone-based access, PPE use requirements and daily rapid testing. Tour and producer have CCO, plus the IA will be monitoring. The venue/employer supervision is less clear at this point, but I feel more secure in the viral safety than I feel about working with rusty skills.
Monster Jam or Supercross?

I'm seeing a lot of stuff elsewhere in entertainment related forums of people vehemently saying no way am I wearing a mask, ever, if people want crew then they can drop these dumb requirements. I mean, really, how catastrophically stupid are these people?

I'm seeing a lot of stuff elsewhere in entertainment related forums of people vehemently saying no way am I wearing a mask, ever, if people want crew then they can drop these dumb requirements. I mean, really, how catastrophically stupid are these people?

Unsafely stupid. We will not miss them at work.

Four legs. I realize that doesn't fully limit the possibilities.
Obligatory comment along the lines of: "I guess this ain't yer first rodeo?"

I work at a small college department. We're getting ready to open our 6th Zoom show since last March, and I'm working 50% of my weekly hours from home. I haven't missed the "grind" of theatre life at all, mostly because March-August were the best five months of my life. (I saw my kids grow up so much, we played outside during nice weather, and we ate meals together as a family every day.)

Aside from not wanting to be away from my family, I believe I would be okay being around a full company of performers and staff again. I'm fine being around others at work in our current reduced capacity. Depending on the day, I have 1-4 student workers with me during evenings in the Scene Shop. (We are always masked, and I will be the first to rejoice when that is no longer a requirement.)

I feel your pain, @macsound. I used to alternate between mixing audio, designing lighting, and playing guitar/keys at our former church. I miss all of it.

In other news, "hygiene theater" - a term I wish I'd trademarked 7 months ago - has been officially recognized. A satirical look courtesy of Stephen Colbert:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back