Power Delivery... Need Advice

Be careful with this kid ove conversation as it might violate the sites rules on giving electrical distribution advice. That said, I created a similar power distribution scheme. The real problem I ran into was these outlets are on dimmers and people who didn't know that thought they could plug into these outlets as if they were constant 120vac. And then get mad at me when I told them that they could not use those outlets. So I would suggest to use power con outlets rather than std electrical ones...or at least label the outlets for special stage use only.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that cable does not meet NEC requirements for stages but, as far as violations of the NEC go, this one seems not as bad as a lot I see. Still a violation, but then I walk onto a stage and see a rats nest of zip cord. I guess you have to ask yourself if one can be a "little bit pregnant" versus "very pregnant".

Most of the Industrial or Mil-Spec stringer cables are ST or maybe SJ. While it might not be to code, I find it greatly superior to homemade stringers with romex, metal junction boxes, etc. To me using a quality manufactured "orchestra light stringer" as we call them in my circle, is like driving 5 MPH over the speed limit. Yes, it's against the rules(some places), but most of the time it is not unsafe and nobody is going to bother you about it.

Be careful with this kid ove conversation as it might violate the sites rules on giving electrical distribution advice. That said, I created a similar power distribution scheme. The real problem I ran into was these outlets are on dimmers and people who didn't know that thought they could plug into these outlets as if they were constant 120vac. And then get mad at me when I told them that they could not use those outlets. So I would suggest to use power con outlets rather than std electrical ones...or at least label the outlets for special stage use only.

As far as I see, we are recommending UL listed and code compliant devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back