Power Supply Multi Input

lizg

Hi all!
I'm breaking down the plot for an immersive install piece that will hopefully resume in the next weeks/months.
Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to safely power a bunch of LED tape in a non-theatrical space. I'm planning on using some 30A power supplies like this (link below) that the company already has a few of.

The problem I've run into is - the outlets in the space are most likely 15A (possibly 20A), so one power supply would blow that circuit. Is there a good way to split the power draw on a unit like this so that the draw will come from two circuits instead?

Thanks for any advice!
Liz

You're confusing input amperage with output amperage. That power supply would consume about 7A from the 120V AC line. You should be able to get two on a circuit without any trouble in practice (especially as I also believe it's doubtful the output would be fully loaded to 30A on all the supplies).

The most straightforward way I know to figure these sorts of things out, as Bill alludes to, is to worry about power rather than voltage and current directly. Power, in watts, is found by multiplying voltage and current (ignoring for the moment power factor on AC circuits); and the job of the power supply is to change power it gets from the 120V input to power the device needs at the 24V output. Ideally it does this without itself consuming any additional power; in practice, these days many, including this particular model, are around 85% efficient at full rated load, so the power input would be a bit over fifteen percent higher than the power output (17.6% to be mathematically precise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back