Power to LEDs and movers in dimmer-heavy space

Paige Borak

I’m working in a theatre that has a million dimmers in the grid, but of course we’re using 12 ETC D40s, 10 Lustrs and 2 MK2 movers. I’ve found 3 blocks of 4 wall outlets on the floor of the space, which’ll require at least a 50’ extension cable to put the power where I need it.

Should I run 12 cables from the outlets up to the grid and then use cube taps? Is there a kind of mult cable for Edison plugs that could plug into the four outlets, extend them to the grid, and provide the four outlets up there? I’ve been trying to figure out what dimmer rack the space uses to see if I can just swap some dimmer modules out with relays, but no one can give me a clear answer.

Thank you for any help you can give! Someone mentions power distro online but I’ve never worked with them before. Is that a possible solution? If so, could you recommend how to use them or resources on what that needs?

That fact that twelve holes exist on the deck to plug things into is no guarantee that each hole is on a separate circuit, let alone rated for twenty amps.

This is really going to be dependant on a conversation with the venue. We don't know what dimmers they have, or what auxiliary power. If they have a company switch you could certainly look into renting/sourcing an appropriately rated distro for your needs

Yeah you don’t want to use those outlets unless you know for sure what powers them.

Ask for a company switch tie in for a distro that has enough soca outs and amps to get you the proper power you need up in the grid.

Alternatively if they have a bunch of dimmers they might have relay cards set aside for this exact reason.

Seening as you are very unsure I would say your fastest route is to get a production rental house to come take a look at the setup and rent you whatever they suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back