Powercon 20A Connectors..

danTt

Premium Member
Hi Friends,

I've always been under the impression that for stage use, SOOW is required (with some exceptions), and for 20amp usage, 12 gauge cable is required. So why is it that the powercon 20amp connectors seem to be designed for 14 gauge (or 12/3SJ) cable? Putting a connector on a 12/3 SOOW end is almost an exercise in futility. Am I missing something?

It can be a little tight, but I have a couple dozen Powercon connectors on 12/3 SOOW.

I'm not a fan of the new generation yellow-tab ones - the nut is very easy to cross-thread on those, but they work.

PowerCon and True1 connectors are listed as appliance connectors, not general purpose connectors. 2014 NEC section 520.68(A)(3) allows type SJ and derivatives (hard usage) as luminaire supply cords up to 1m (3.3') in length. In the 2017 NEC, that will change to 2m (6.6').

ST

How does that classify powercon jumpers then? Are they still considered luminaire supply cords? And if so, what category would powercon cables > 1m (or 2) fall under?

PowerCon and True1 connectors are listed as appliance connectors, not general purpose connectors. 2014 NEC section 520.68(A)(3) allows type SJ and derivatives (hard usage) as luminaire supply cords up to 1m (3.3') in length. In the 2017 NEC, that will change to 2m (6.6').

ST

Out of curiosity, what gauge are the ETC DPJ-5 and DPJ-10 PowerCon to PoweCon 5' and 10' extension cables?

I think this would be a good time to bring up the PowerCon vs the True1. A few companies are starting to go to the True1. Robert Juliat and Ayrton come to mind. Soooo, a better connector but still yet another connector to deal with.

Hi Friends,

I've always been under the impression that for stage use, SOOW is required (with some exceptions), and for 20amp usage, 12 gauge cable is required. So why is it that the powercon 20amp connectors seem to be designed for 14 gauge (or 12/3SJ) cable? Putting a connector on a 12/3 SOOW end is almost an exercise in futility. Am I missing something?

It is possible you use SOOW, there should be 2 different strain relief clamps with the connector, one for thin cable and one for thick.

How does that classify powercon jumpers then? Are they still considered luminaire supply cords? And if so, what category would powercon cables > 1m (or 2) fall under?

It seem that after 2017 you will be able to use 6.6' of cable from the luminary, and 6.6' of cable from a breakout, that both can be SJ, however if you need a 5' extension between those 2, or a 10' jumper between fixtures, it will still have to be SO cable. Why? Because.......Just...because. Because the NEC is not there...YET.

You will find MANY commercially available SJ power con extensions. They are not NEC complaint. It is NOT a criminal act to use them(though you may be forced to take them out of service in some cases). Why are they not NEC complaint, you ask? Because the NEC is mostly a reactive organization. When the industry pushes in a direction far enough, Changes to the codes will eventually catch up to common usage.

The NEC rules are largely created by manufacturers, in some cases it is people like Steve Terry who genuinely want to help the entertainment industry, and many cases it is people who manufacture things like Arc-Fault circuit interrupters, who genuinely want to help line their pockets.

As far as Power-con vs True1, I think both will remain for a while. True one fixes the shortcomings of the original.
1) being able to make and break a live connection.
2) IP65 rating

Powercons are less expensive, and I think they are well enough established that most indoor rated fixtures will continue using these, however anything higher than an indoor only rating will go to true1. It is especially useful in cases like video wall panels, where they may be outdoors, and you can have signal and power running while connecting each panel, so you can verify that each panel is working as you build. This cannot be done with original powercon, because of the potential for arcing and scorching the power connectors when connecting live.

I wish we could standardize connectors more, but the reality is there are sooooo many, and everyone uses something different. I would settle for just getting rid of stage pin, but that's never gonna happen.

It is possible you use SOOW, there should be 2 different strain relief clamps with the connector, one for thin cable and one for thick.

It seem that after 2017 you will be able to use 6.6' of cable from the luminary, and 6.6' of cable from a breakout, that both can be SJ, however if you need a 5' extension between those 2, or a 10' jumper between fixtures, it will still have to be SO cable. Why? Because.......Just...because. Because the NEC is not there...YET.

You will find MANY commercially available SJ power con extensions. They are not NEC complaint. It is NOT a criminal act to use them(though you may be forced to take them out of service in some cases). Why are they not NEC complaint, you ask? Because the NEC is mostly a reactive organization. When the industry pushes in a direction far enough, Changes to the codes will eventually catch up to common usage.

The NEC rules are largely created by manufacturers, in some cases it is people like Steve Terry who genuinely want to help the entertainment industry, and many cases it is people who manufacture things like Arc-Fault circuit interrupters, who genuinely want to help line their pockets.

In 2017, hard usage luminaire supply cords will change to 6.6', but breakout assemblies have always allowed hard usage cable up to 20', as long as the conditions of section 520.68(A)(5) are met.

The NEC is created by a wide variety of public inputs, not just manufacturers. BTW, we have never seen a proposal suggesting that hard usage cable should be broadly allowed in theatres and that the extra-hard usage requirement should be dropped. Therefore, such a change has never been considered by Code Panel 15. You, or anyone else, could make such a proposal to the 2020 NEC, along with supporting reasons or evidence as to why that should happen.

BTW, the reason I got involved in NEC work: In 1980, a rental company that was a competitor of Production Arts began stating to the market: "THE NEC is changing, and the only type of multicable that will be allowed is the type I have in my rental stock." If so, PA was going to be at a big commercial disadvantage.

It turned out that was not true, and lo and behold, it was actually possible to change then-antiquated NEC article 520 and 530. Thus was born the USITT NEC Committee, and more than 35 years of dedicated work by a number of people from our industry including Ken Vannice (now retired from Leviton), Mitch Hefter (Philips), Eddie Kramer (Radio City Music Hall), and Mike Skinner (CBS). Recent additions to this Code Panel 15 group are Alan Rowe (IATSE Local 728), Doug Rheinheimer (Paramount Pictures), and R. Duane Wilson (theatre consultant).

BTW, commercial interests have always had an influence on the NEC, as well as the emergence of new technologies (photo-voltaic power generation being just one example). But that is balanced by the wide range of membership on the NEC Code Panels--and the fact that safety is always the primary concern. Unfortunately, your comment on AFCI devices is a bit off-base, and muddles these two motivations. Yes, somebody gets revenue by manufacturing AFCI's--but the statistical improvement in fire safety is overwhelming evidence that AFCI's are a huge safety advance. A similar advance occurred with the introduction of GFCI's many years ago--and lives were saved as a result.

If this type of work interests you, new blood is always needed! Joining the ESTA Electrical Power Working Group is a good place to start.

ST

Last edited:
Ah, I think I did not realize 20' SJ breakouts were allowed, that is nice to know, and adds further dubiousness to the requirement of SO in between a breakout and fixture. Maybe someday when I have a lot more time, I will try to propose allowing SJ throughout.

My point about the AFCI, though now with the modern combination type AFCIs, they are very effective, The first gen was parallel fault only detection, and did statistically little to prevent fires. They only activated with an uncommon type of arcing, and were very expensive, and offered little benefit.

The manufactures, by use of codes, forced the sale of a product that was not ready for the market. IMO

Steve - i don't suppose there is any possibility that a powercon jumper made of SJTOW, for use between two LED fixtures for example, could be defined as a breakout and so be up to 20 ft. long?

Or is there any flexibility in the code that would allow us to use 14/3 SOW in our powercon jumpers because this is an appliance cord between fixtures, rather than "stage lighting cable"? It looks like that cable *will* fit into the powercon strain relief.

I ask that because i notice that the ETC p/n DPA-B that i just received is in fact made with 14/3 SJTOW . . .

I'm grasping at straws before i give up on powercon jumpers and just buy a lot of threefers.

Steve - i don't suppose there is any possibility that a powercon jumper made of SJTOW, for use between two LED fixtures for example, could be defined as a breakout and so be up to 20 ft. long?

Or is there any flexibility in the code that would allow us to use 14/3 SOW in our powercon jumpers because this is an appliance cord between fixtures, rather than "stage lighting cable"? It looks like that cable *will* fit into the powercon strain relief.

We can use 14/3 AWG Type SO and derivatives on 20A circuits anywhere in the theatre as long as the load on the cable does not exceed 18A. See 240.5(B)(4) and table 400.5(A)(1) Column B.

I ask that because i notice that the ETC p/n DPA-B that i just received is in fact made with 14/3 SJTOW . . .

I'm grasping at straws before i give up on powercon jumpers and just buy a lot of threefers.

No on break-outs, based on the current definition of a break-out.

We can use 14/3 AWG Type SO and derivatives on 20A circuits anywhere in the theatre as long as the load on the cable does not exceed 18A with two current-carrying conductors. See 240.5(B)(3) --for listed extension cords--and 240.5(B)(4)--for field assembled extension cords, including those assembled by a manufacturer using listed cable and connectors, but not listed as a complete assembly-- and table 400.5(A)(1) Column B.

ST

No on break-outs, based on the current definition of a break-out.

We can use 14/3 AWG Type SO and derivatives on 20A circuits anywhere in the theatre as long as the load on the cable does not exceed 18A with two current-carrying conductors. See 240.5(B)(3) --for listed extension cords--and 240.5(B)(4)--for field assembled extension cords, including those assembled by a manufacturer using listed cable and connectors, but not listed as a complete assembly-- and table 400.5(A)(1) Column B.

ST
So all that is why ETC is very clear on a 10 fixture max on a single Daisy chain? It won't exceed 18 amps?

It's part of the equation. The other factors are inrush and leakage current. The former, mostly due to charging up capacitors, can be very high. The latter, mostly due to the nature of switching power supplies can cause excessive ground fault currents, enough to trip the GFCI.
I didn't say on a single 20 amp circuit, just the jumpers was what I wanted to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back