Powercon connector voltage

danTt

Premium Member
Hi Friends,

Mostly from a code/"legal" perspective--I know that technically most devices are perfectly fine:

Is the powercon connector inherently rated for 120 and 208? Many devices that use it these days are self switching, but I know the NEC doesn't really like connectors that are used on multiple voltages. Is it "safe" to use powercon with two hot legs on any fixtures that have powercon? Or are the self switching power supplies only "rated" for a voltage of 100->240 with one live conductor?

are the self switching power supplies only "rated" for a voltage of 100->240 with one live conductor?

Regarding this part of the question, no. Power supplies must equally isolate both current conducting conductors from ground. Since AC power does not have a polarity, then it does not matter if you have a Hot/Neutral source as compared to a Hot/Hot source as long as the voltage is within the range of the supply.
Regarding PowerCon connectors, I am not sure off hand how the NEC views them as you don't want to mix voltages when using the same connector. I -think- the actual connector on a portable multi-voltage fixture may slide through the eye of the needle, but would welcome input from @STEVETERRY on the actual scripture and verse.

Powercon and IEC connectors are not suitable for building wiring (governed by the NEC) because of several factors including multiple voltages. Powercons and IECs are suitable for devices which are governed by other bodies - the various testing labs such as UL, and these organizations test every product submitted to them for compliance and render a judgment on that specific device. Many devices with Powercon and IEC inlets are UL/ETL listed, so used in those devices Powercons are fine and simply changing the supply cord will let you convert between 120v and 208/240v.

It is an area to watch out for, though. Not every device is auto switching, and not every device with an IEC or Powercon connector is multi-voltage capable. Devices that have powercon inlets and Edison outlets have the potential to be plugged into a 208V source and then present that at a 120V only Edison receptacle. As far as I know this prevents these devices from being ETL/UL listed.

I have Chauvet SlimPAR Pro LED fixtures that have IEC power input and Edison power through. Interestingly the fixtures have auto switching universal power supplies, and are printed so on the fixtures. If they are operated at 208/240v, the Edison passthrough would present that same voltage, which is definitely not a good thing. I don't recall if they are listed devices or not - I'll have to look for a sticker.

Regarding this part of the question, no. Power supplies must equally isolate both current conducting conductors from ground. Since AC power does not have a polarity, then it does not matter if you have a Hot/Neutral source as compared to a Hot/Hot source as long as the voltage is within the range of the supply.
Regarding PowerCon connectors, I am not sure off hand how the NEC views them as you don't want to mix voltages when using the same connector. I -think- the actual connector on a portable multi-voltage fixture may slide through the eye of the needle, but would welcome input from @STEVETERRY on the actual scripture and verse.

Funny you should ask. I am in the middle of writing an article for Protocol on this very subject: "Electrical Connector Ratings: The Pull-and Tug Between Emerging Industry Practices, Safety, and the NEC".

It's important to remember that a PowerCon connector is UL Recognized as an "appliance connector", not a general purpose connector. That means that its actual Listing derives from the piece of equipment it is connected to. It has a maximum rating of 250V AC, so as long as the voltage rating of the fixture is under that number, all is well.

For more on this riveting, electrifying subject :), see an upcoming issue of Protocol.

ST

Funny you should ask. I am in the middle of writing an article for Protocol on this very subject: "Electrical Connector Ratings: The Pull-and Tug Between Emerging Industry Practices, Safety, and the NEC".

It's important to remember that a PowerCon connector is UL Recognized as an "appliance connector", not a general purpose connector. That means that its actual Listing derives from the piece of equipment it is connected to. It has a maximum rating of 250V AC, so as long as the voltage rating of the fixture is under that number, all is well.

For more on this riveting, electrifying subject :), see an upcoming issue of Protocol.

ST
So basically, do not make any extender cables that have both ends as PowerCon connectors. As such, it would no longer be a "fixture" cable, but an extension cable and therefore no longer code.
(Not that I had any plans ;) )

So basically, do not make any extender cables that have both ends as PowerCon connectors. As such, it would no longer be a "fixture" cable, but an extension cable and therefore no longer code.

I wonder what the point of that powercon passthru port is for on modern fixtures... future implementation? :)

I wonder what the point of that powercon passthru port is for on modern fixtures... future implementation? :)
Hummm... Going fixture to fixture may raise an interesting loophole. Each of those jumper cables would be (in essence) a "fixture cable." I suspect as long as you are not "extending" a fixture cable, then you couldn't consider it an "extension cable."
"The Pull-and Tug Between Emerging Industry Practices, Safety, and the NEC" Ah yes! I can see the questions already!

That's not right, since etc sells listed powercon jumpers. But I leave it to others to explain. Probably as simple as the cord being a part of the fixture.

If memory serves you can jump fixture to fixture, but only on rated length of cable listed for the purpose. You cannot extend a jumper and I believe the couplers designed to extend are not UL listed.

ST
Since this thread got bumped up from the dead....

Is that article still available?

Wonder if the PowerCon A / PowerCon B effectively exempts the jumper from being an extension as there is no way to add lengths together......

An important thing to note, none of these extender boxes (or cables, Lex makes a nice one) are listed with any official agency. Doesn't mean they can't be used, but it should be kept in mind that you're outside of standards. I still keep a half dozen in inventory, but I try like hell to keep people from using them.

An important thing to note, none of these extender boxes (or cables, Lex makes a nice one) are listed with any official agency. Doesn't mean they can't be used, but it should be kept in mind that you're outside of standards. I still keep a half dozen in inventory, but I try like hell to keep people from using them.
Kind of like XLR turnarounds. You should never need to use one, but it is damn handy to have one when you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back